Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
So i believe that i have a pretty high knowledge of cars. And i was watching a commercial for a local Honda Dealership and i started to notice the striking resemblance between the Honda Accord and the Mercedes CLS....has anyoneelse noticed this or am i just crazy.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You're not crazy, just blind. I see There is no resemblance whatsoever, just wishful thinking:

07 accord 71048 se.jpg
2004_mercedes_cls_02_m.jpg

Well, I guess there is some resemblance; they're both cars, they both have four doors, they both have wheels.

If you were to go and buy an Accord, rest assured that nobody is going to mistake you for a Merc CLS driver.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
turn the cars around and put a spoiler on them. I'm not talking about the GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade. But my question is better off did Mercedes take their "unique new sedan concept" from the Honda accord, the rear lights look strikingly similar.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
???

2007_Accord_Sedan_SE,_3_4_Passenger_Side_Rear_(HAD7-40)_web.jpg
2007cls016dt.jpg

I do not see anyway you can think those look similar. I mean, there are only so many ways to shape a taillight. The two cars are clearly so completely utterly different in styling.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
idn...

with the spoiler on both they look very similar from the upper angle.

I just thought it was odd because Mercedes usually is fairly unique with their lights but now thinking about the ClS lights arent really flat...

Since '76

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
??? While both are great cars, even if they were badged, painted and shoed equally, no one within 100 yards is mistaking one for the other.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
All cars these days will look alike as there is so much people can do to design a unique, but aerodynamic vehicle. Although the Camry's Mazda front end ripoff is not part of the limitations. :p

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I dunno, i think they look similar. Not mistaking similar, but similar nonetheless.

What part of them looks similar I don't get it. The Mercedes Benz is outrageously swoopy and extremely aerodynamic.

The Accord is a box with wheels and four doors. Where are these similarities?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I dunno, i think they look similar. Not mistaking similar, but similar nonetheless.

Yeah, I actually agree. I think they look around 30% similar while most cars look 10 or 20% similar (all arbitrary values based on opinion, of course).

And I can't believe Merc actually made a nice new design. Always thought their cars were ugly "grandpa" cars, even the ones that are supposed to look nice and stylin.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I was never suggesting badge swapping...i mean i understand if a honda and a hyundai look close but ummm...these are two cars in different markets, from different countries and they look somewhat similar. Would i confused them from even an airplane probably not... But they look sorta similar when your staring at a TV from an aerival view at an angle, i mean i still new it was a Honda, but if you curved the trunk it would look pretty similar.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
But like, lots of cars have triangular taillights, that doesn't mean they look similar:

Toyota Camry:

2003_toyota_camry_rear_1.jpg

Mercury Milan:

RightRear.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage:

MM.jpg

Pontiac G6:

gm_07g6sedan_rear.jpg

Ford Fusion:

0501_445+2006_Ford_Fusion+Rear_Drivers_Side_View.jpg

And certainly, of all the cars with triangular taillights, the CLS is by far the least similar to the pack.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Dodge Neon:

00.dodge.neon.es.r34.500.jpg

Saturn Aura:

08SaturnAuraRear.jpg

Infiniti Q45:

infinitiQ457.jpg

Buick LaCrosse:

LeftRear.jpg

Mitsubishi Diamante:

mitsubishi-diamante.jpg

I just find it extremely odd that of all these cars with triangular taillights, all of which are sold in the United States market, you would pick the CLS and Accord as looking similar. I mean, even from this huge group of cars, there are cars that look more like the CLS, and more like the Accord, than the CLS and Accord look like each other.

I think you should just completely erase that silliness from your mind.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I agree there's something in the shape of the line. However, the MB is so much massive (and yet gracious) that when you see them in reality, it's hard to recall where the ressemblance was.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i don't see much similarity either.. i would actually say the accord looks more like an audi from the back

triangular taillights ? mercedes has those since when ? 1992 or earlier ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.