Mercenaries 2!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, Aug 16, 2008.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So Mercenaries 2 comes out pretty soon. Anyone else excited?

I still remember playing (and replaying) the first one on my PS2 way back in 05. What great fun :D. I've been waiting 3 years for this one :p. Anyway, I love the addition of co-op. Plus the new location is sweet. And so much more, can't wait for the 31st (but it probably won't be in stores by then......

2. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Yeah i have mine on pre order :) only down side is that mercenaries 2 and fallout 3 both come out when im on holiday :(

3. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't see a need to preorder. Isn't doesn't look like many people are excited based on post numbers in this thread :p. But they don't know what they are missing!

4. evan g macrumors regular

Are you kidding? I'm totally physced for this game! I preordered it to show it will just show up in the afternoon of the day it ships :D

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I'm looking forward to this as well. I never finished the original but had a good time with it.

6. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice. I'm thinking about doing the preorder at ebgames but pickup in store thing (I don't want to pay for shipping!). Preorderers at EB get a free hat!

7. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

8. evan g macrumors regular

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It's coming out on Monday already, that's pretty awesome, I'll definitely get it for PC.

10. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Me too!
    Actually.... Sunday :). And from what I heard from my local gamestop they should have it then. But they could be wrong :(.

If anyone is wondering. Here's the code email.

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

So will not-preorder customers never get those outfits or what?

Also, does anyone know if Mercenaries 2 coop is limited to 2 players? There ARE 3 characters after all...

12. evan g macrumors regular

nope sorry id order quick here lol

13. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

As mentioned in an interview. No, only if you preorder and the codes only work for one person.
    Nope, 2. 3 might have lagged it a bit. They always talk about lag free gameplay, drop in drop out seamless-ness stuff.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I HATE the commercials for this game. The annoying song and that everything looks like it was beat to death with a PLASTIC ugly stick. :)

Other than that, I don't even know what this game is about and vaguely recall the first game. :eek:

<]=)

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why the frick did I buy this game it's utter pants!! :(

Seriously this is probably the biggest pile of pants I have had the misfortune to play this year and boy I've played some lemons.

Mercenaries 2 lacks the most vital thing in any game... Yes it has guns, some big explosions, helicopters, tanks and yet.... it's just not much fun.

As a open world game it's lacking, and graphically it's very much lacking too.

Just Cause was heaps of fun, even if the missions did get repetitive. But it was still a vastly superior game - especially in the FUN department.

Well looks like I'm gonna have to trade this heap of junk in :(:eek::(

16. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Could have bought it at gamestop. Return it within a week get full refund.

ANYWAY. It's not as good as I was hoping. But after playing through it once I do find the co-op enough fun to keep it. It's fun, not amazing. It is a bit better than Mercs 1, and I loved 1.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I liked Mercs 1. I think the problem is that there is just so much more competition in the genre now compared to back then, and when it does compare to the competition it pales. :(

Sadly Gamestop stores here don't have the same policy. :(

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I wish you'd get off that fence of yours and tell us how you really feel.

19. Roobsa macrumors regular

I really enjoy it. I'm not a huge gamer, but the last game I bought for my Xbox was Bad Company which I also found was really fun. I traded in some unwanted games so managed to cut the price of Mercs 2 down to £8.99 so I think it was worth it.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

What Gamestops do that? It must be a regional thing, all the Gamestops in California will not give a full refund once you open the item. If its damaged they will replace it for same game only. The only thing you could do is trade it in while its still new'ish and hope to get $35 or $40 for it.

MRU, i played this for a little an I 100% agree with your review. It is totally lacking, in fact when I was done playing I had to go back and play a game with the blue mammal to realize how bad Mercenaries 2 really was. It's like the studio spent more on the marketing than the developement of the game iteself, which is a sad but true realization for a lot of games lately.

21. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, ya. I guess it can't be everywhere. It's a pretty stupid idea.

22. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I also am suffering 'buyers remorse', though I have the PC version. I got it because I loved the look of the original and had heard such good things. I love blowin' stuff up ... but also like a bit more substance and not a bland story with bland characters and a bland world ... that you can blow up.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Gamestop typically doesn't sell new games sealed (at least in the Midwest USA). I've never tried returning a new game but I can't imagine them not offering a full refund return policy (for a limited time period) if they, themselves, always open up the games first. ...it would be a cheap act on their part, otherwise.

And thanks for the opinion on this game....I'll think I'll pass on Merc 2 based on what y'all been saying....

24. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Seconded. Hell I almost bought it yesterday. :eek: