Mercury Aura Pro Express SSD for MBA 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Legion93, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I've noticed that Other World Computing is now selling SSD's for the new MBAs. Since the MBA has flash storage, as far as I know, OWC is the only company that currently supplies flash SSD's for the new MacBook Airs.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

I was wondering, if any of you have replaced your stock SSD (I believe it is a Toshiba - this can be checked in the SERIAL-ATA, if it states "APPLE SSD TS256C" or something similar, then your SSD is Toshiba. The "TS" in the model no. stands for 'Toshiba'.)

OWC states that it has 275mb/s write speeds, and 68% faster than factory SSD shipped by Apple. I am also interested in this as the OWC Aura SSD uses the sandforce controller - which is currently one of the best SSDs around. Though these figures speak for themselves, I doubt it is 100% true...?

Could any of you guys who have afforded to buy one and stuck it in your spanking new MBA provide benchmarks and performance stats for the SSD? I believe it is slightly faster than Apple's SSD's? Any info will be appreciated!

2. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

If you do a search on this forum, there are several threads talking about problems with several OWC drives. Strange, because OWC is a great company, and the support seems to have been pretty good...but OWC SSDs seems to just have annoying issues working with Macs from some reason. I want a 240GB version but it's just to "iffy" for me based on everything I've seen. The speed claims are legit though. They're really fast.

3. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

THE PRICES, LOOK AT THE PRICES....Seriously they are ridiculous...

When can we expect a SSD price drop?

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

^ This! Come on, it's been years and still not low enough to displace spinning disks.

Cheers,

5. negatv1 macrumors 6502

$1100+ for 360GB is indeed ridiculous. But the prices of SSD drives in general have dropped, and capacity is getting closer to what is available on standard hard disks.

I'd guess that there will continue to be a premium on SSD's for the next few years but eventually, will quietly replace hard disks as we currently know them. Apple shipping machines such as the Air with only SSD options is a great start.