Merge 2 iTunes Libraries, keeping ratings etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edesignuk, Jan 28, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm searching round trying to find an answer to this, but maybe someone can help...

I currently have my iTunes library on my iMac, wifey has hers on her iMac.

Now we've just got our mac pro today and want to have it store everything centrally.

I'd like to merge both libraries in to one (without duplicates) and retain playlists, play counts, song ratings etc.

Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks!

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

TuneRanger isn't 'free' as such. TBH, not 100% sure if that'll do exactly what your after but I think it will.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, I'd found that. Not so keen on paying for a way to do this TBH :eek: :p

I'm all about the free and easy way of doing this, man :cool: :D

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, I thought that. There is a free trial mind. Also, how about burning the tracks off one machine as data?

Suppose your still going to end up with Duplicates. I can't find any other way of doing it, Google just kicks up a lot of complaining :)rolleyes:) about iTunes' lack of the ability to do this.

I'd just copy the iTunes Folder into the Library and go through looking for duplicates anywho. It'll give iBlue something to do when you finally let her touch the MP. ;) :p

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's thousands of tracks between the two libraries. Play counts, ratings, etc. I really can't stand to lose all that. There must be a way...

I've found a method using rsync in the terminal to combine the file physically, but this doesn't help with the play counts, ratings, and play lists.

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

What about Migration Assistant? I've never used it, so I'm not sure what it can do.

Even if you still get duplicates with that, it should save all your play counts and such, giving you some what of a compromise?

7. georgeoommen macrumors regular

i'm not sure how exactly you expect this to work.. the files which are duplicated could, and most probably will, have different playcounts, ratings comments etc... so what would you want to happen in this situation?

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

That looks like it'll do the trick. Did you get it sorted, e?

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Think this will be a project for the weekend...I just no it's going to be messy.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can you drag and drop from one iTunes to another using Leopard's screen sharing?

I know you can drag and drop straight from iTunes library view to the desktop, and vice versa... sooooo, maybe that's worth experimenting with. And then resolving duplicates once they're merged.

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Whatever way you do it, make sure both libraries are backed up and secure somewhere before you proceed. I'm sure you have already, just a friendly reminder. :cool: