Merge all Terminal windows automatically?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaysire, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jaysire macrumors newbie

So, is there a way to always merge all opened terminal windows automatically? The way I have set it up is I have configured public/private key pairs for all Unix boxes I administer (maybe 10) and I have them in a springloaded folder as shortcuts that I just click to log on (no pwd, I jump from server to server a LOT every day).

I would like every shortcut (that opens an SSH-connection to a server) pop up as a new tab in the same terminal window.

I know I can configure terminal groups, but I don't always want the same ones, I want to pick the relevant 5 connections of a total of 10 at any given moment, so all I need to be really happy is actually the ability to automerge.

Any help is appreciated. Tried searching, came up empty.

-J

2. tony4d macrumors member

Why not take this opportunity to learn applescript? It will solve your needs easily.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

As a former UNIX admin, I cringe at the thought of you having a way to auto login to servers without authentication. :eek:

I can understand leaving a couple of terminal windows open connected to the server, but to make it so that if you forget to lock your system or if someone finds your password and by logging-in they gain admin access to all the server??

4. jaysire thread starter macrumors newbie

No they don't. Naturally root login through ssh is not allowed in our configs, so this just logs in a normal user. I Su or Sudo when I need to do admin stuff.

Furthermore, this is a laptop. I keep it with me at all times - like marines and their rifles. I've yet to name her... she's pretty young still ;)

5. jaysire thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so it's off to google "applescript quickstart guide". I will come back to haunt you if it proves NOT to be able to easily solve my needs!

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

OK, I can sleep better at night now ;)

You might want to consider looking at terminal-like applications, I wouldn't be surprised that some exist.

7. jaysire thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to help you with your nightly sleep ;)

Anyhow, I (sort of) solved my problem without applescript (so no need to crack open the books quite yet). I went to system preferences and configured a shortcut (cmd+G for "group") that assembles all terminal windows into one.

It's not automatic, but it works quite nicely and is easier than moving the mouse up to the "window" -menu and choosing "merge all".

-J

8. tony4d macrumors member

Custom keyboard shortcuts in OS X are a beautiful thing :D