merge apple IDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bniu, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have two apple IDs and I would like to know if there is any way to merge them? I have purchases from both accounts and it's just a pain to manage both of them.

Here's my two IDs:

the first one was originally an AOL screename zzz@aol.com and when the aol partnership ended, I converted it over to yyy@gmail.com.

the second one was just a regular old apple ID with an email of xxx@yahoo.ca (yes, the email is canadian but the account is american).

My question is, I would like to move both of the apple id's to another email address www@yahoo.com, is it possible to change both apple IDs over to it and effectively merge the accounts?

Thanks.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I do not think you can merge Account ID's. In the future would it be better to use a USERID and not an email address for your Account ID. That way you can just change your email address on your account. However, after reviewing it appears you can change you Account ID to the new email address so maybe it does not matter. But maybe it would be less typing to login. After your change you will at least have a new id for 1 of them.

You can do this under the "Manage Your Account ID" after you are logged in.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

You can't merge Apple ID's, if you don't like one that you have you can delete yours and re-create a new ID. If you have to pay "so-be-it". These are the words from Apple when I spoke to them about merging a while back.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Even if you are using your email as your account ID, you can still change your email address, and therefore the account id as well. I've done this a couple of times, you just can't change your email address to one on an existing account.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

actually apple is encouraging you to use an email address and not a username, i think thats pretty much the standard now for Apple IDs, for example im not sure if its still true but using find my iphone and other apps would not let you use a username but rather needed an email address for your appleid to use it

6. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Not all accounts can change Apple ID's. Mine for instance can't be changed since I've tried in the past and even minutes ago. When I spoke with Apple they gave me some story saying those that got the @mac accounts can't change there id's. No idea if that's for all or just me, but I know I'm not the only one.