Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rs7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
For a long time, I used my e-mail address as my Apple ID. It has my music and all that other stuff associated on it. I bought MobileMe and now have the @me.com e-mail address, which has an AppleID as that e-mail address. Trying to change the old AppleID to the new e-mail address (ie. entering the new e-mail address in the Change AppleID box of the old account.) results in it telling me that that ID is already in use (by me, obviously). How can I merge the IDs, or somehow move my iTunes music to the new AppleID?

Thanks

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
For a long time, I used my e-mail address as my Apple ID. It has my music and all that other stuff associated on it. I bought MobileMe and now have the @me.com e-mail address, which has an AppleID as that e-mail address. Trying to change the old AppleID to the new e-mail address (ie. entering the new e-mail address in the Change AppleID box of the old account.) results in it telling me that that ID is already in use (by me, obviously). How can I merge the IDs, or somehow move my iTunes music to the new AppleID?

Thanks

Contact Apple support and ask nicely.

jamieg

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Glasgow, United Kingdom
I came up against the same issue. It is most annoying and Apple say they can't do anything for me. I just don't understand why this is not explained when you sign up for MobileMe. When I signed up, I entered an alternate email address (my iTunes ID).

Did you find a resolution?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is no resolution. Apple will not migrate purchase history from one ID to another.

mcgrath383

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
hi
I managed to do this before I had an aol id, however when I switched to a gmail I had the account merged under my gmail account for previous purchases.
I ad to contact support quite a few times though.
cheers

just found the email exchange if this in any help
I understand you have an AOL account that you once used on the iTunes Store that you would like to continue to use.

When AOL accounts expire, you can convert your AOL account to an Apple ID account. Please note: now that your purchases will no longer be charged to your AOL account, a credit card is required to make additional purchases. To convert your old account be sure and use the same credit card you used on your AOL account.

To transition an AOL account please attempt to sign in to the iTunes Store using your AOL account three (3) times. After the third sign in attempt, you will be prompted to transition the account to an Apple ID.

If you're having trouble converting your AOL ID to an Apple ID iTunes Store account after following these steps, I can convert your account for you. Before I can do this, however, Apple requires that you provide the following for security reasons:

- Your permission to reset the password

- The billing address listed on the account

Upon receiving your response, the iTunes Store will verify your billing address, reset your password, convert your account, and send you an email with your new password.

Sincerely,

Tom
iTunes Store Customer Support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.