Merge AVI files in Lion?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MagicStick, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MagicStick macrumors newbie

MagicStick

Hey All.

I use D-Vision to merge avi files into one. But I just noticed this morning, after upgrading to Lion last week, that D-Vision no longer works. I also tried Avidemux2 after reading an older thread on here but that application wont even launch in Lion.

Can you guys suggest another app that can do the job?

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

3. MagicStick thread starter macrumors newbie

MagicStick

Thanks. Tried that cgbier. Doesn't look like its compatible with AVI files. Plus I see no option to merge?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is simply not true. Download and install the Perian codec suite.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Sorry, my mistake. To have MPEG Streamclip work flawlessly, you need to have Perian installed - normally about the first thing I install whenever I get a new Mac.

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

MPEG Streamclip is able to open the AVI container. The audio and video therein may be unable to be read even with Perian installed. There's a lot of weird codecs out there that are able to be crammed into an AVI container...

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. At no point did I say that MPEG Streamclip could not open a .avi container. My post stated the exact opposite. The OP made that claim. I suggested that he install Perian in the hope that it would allow the video to be opened. BTW, I have the SheerVideo Pro codec installed but unregistered.

8. MagicStick thread starter macrumors newbie

MagicStick

Thanks guys. I installed the Perian codec and managed to figue out how to merge the files. There doesn't seem to be an option just to do a direct stream copy of the audio and video when outputting though?

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

D-Vision does work. You just need to select mencoder instead of avimerge.

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I haven't done it for quite a while, and only in some obscure SD format, but I was successful to transcode AVIs to the DV format that was painlessly editable in FCP.

11. MagicStick thread starter macrumors newbie

MagicStick

Awesome mate. You're right, that worked!