Merge/consolidate excel workbooks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikkelndenmark, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mikkelndenmark macrumors newbie

Hey guys
    I've searched high and low for the answer to this one, and I hope you can help me out.

I handle a bit of finances at a small business. Each week I pull out a report from a web-based economy system. That then opens in Excel.

What I'd like to do is simple:

1. The first week I pull the report and mark some stuff on the Excel page (for example highlighting certain debitors, making comments, color fills etc.)

2. The following week I pull the report again, and now I'd like to merge the two together. That is, keep the data from week 1 (or replace parts of it, if that's relevant) and simply add the data from week 2 onto that same sheet, so all information is right there.

I thought that would be a no-brainer. Now I've tried to merge workbooks, consolidate data, looked at tutorials on youtube, read forum posts - the lot, and I still can't get it to work. (Brain possibly smaller than I thought :p)

I'd appreciate any input on this - thanks guys!
    Best, Mikkel

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't simply merge two spreadsheets effectively. There's no way for Excel to know where you want the new data to be located, unless you specifically tell it. Your best bet is to make sure the spreadsheets are identical in structure (rows and columns in the same format and order), then copy from one and paste into the other.