Merge Modified and Original folders from iPhoto back to iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zaalibhai, Aug 8, 2010.

1. zaalibhai macrumors newbie

I'm constantly taking pictures, and have finally bought a 1 TB hard drive to store my photos in. The only problem is that, a few months ago, I was in a crunch for space on my Mac and needed to move my pictures to a different (older) external hard drive for the time being until I was able to buy a new one.

In the process of copying all of my pictures from my laptop to my old external hard drive, I went to Macintosh HD>Users>Username>Pictures>iPhoto Library and clicked on "Show Package Contents" to open up the actual picture files in my iPhoto. (I know now - not the best method) So I copied all of my files to my old external hard drive from the "Originals" and "Modified" folders on my Mac.

Is there a way I can move all of my pictures back to my iPhoto library so that it only shows the pictures in regular iPhoto method? (as in, iPhoto displays the original photo, but if modified, iPhoto displays the modified photo and keeps the original in the background folders)

I tried to copy and paste the Original and Modified folders contents from my old external hard drive into my respective Original and Modified folders on my Mac and then open iPhoto to see if it would automatically register it, but no luck.

Right now, if I were to simply import all of the pictures, I would get 4 copies of each photo, since I shoot in RAW+JPEG, and I have close to 70 GB of photos, so going through all of those individually would not be fun. My ultimate goal is to combine the files in my current iPhoto with my existing photos on my old hard drive and be able to use my new hard drive as my main library in iPhoto in order to free up a lot of space on my Mac.

Thanks in advance.

2. dhd macrumors member

dhd

I think you are out of luck (I hope someone can prove me wrong)...If you want to move your IPhoto library you should have moved the whole package, not individual folders inside of it as I think iphoto needs not only the pics but also the other files (thumbs, metadata, etc) to work.