Merge multiple iPhoto libraries onto one external disk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmaxdmax, Aug 20, 2014.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I'd like to combine all of our photos (16,000) from several computers onto a single external drive. I'm not certain how it happened but there are at least 1,000 duplicates.

I've read any number of threads and reviews of the various applications that could do this for me and it usually seems to come down to Application X vs iPhoto Library Manager with cost being a major factor. If I don't mind spending $30, is there any reason to consider another app?

TIA

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

iPhoto Library Manager can certainly merge libraries. It may not magically purge all your duplicates, however. Which is good, because it would be better to keep lots of annoying copies than delete one valuable original that has no copies.

But you might consider how this state of affairs came to pass and whether a more comprehensive and flexible photo managing solution might be in order. iPhoto Manager isn't gonna be able to help you after the merge, and you'd still need a photo organizing scheme. So you could spend the $30 and still have problems.

It's kinda hard to recommend Aperture since it isn't going to be further developed, but it still works and it can merge and help organize all those photos. Sorta depends on how valuable they are and what your time is worth.

3. skynet28 macrumors newbie

Aperture is expensive. Is there any other option?

4. Emen Mali macrumors newbie

iPhoto Library Manager helped me round up years worth of duplicate iPhoto libraries!