Merge OS X partition and storage partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mactabulous, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Mactabulous macrumors member

My GF's Mac is currently partitioned with one system disk (OS X 10.8), and a separate storage partition (for files etc). Both partitions on the same physical harddrive.

Is it possible to merge these two partitions without losing either of their contents, or am I grasping at straws here?

If I am indeed grasping at straws, what would be the best way of migrating from a dual partition setup to a single partition setup? She does have Time Machine backups of her current system, but that would likely reflect the dual partition setup, right, if one was to restore the system?

Cheers!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, IF you have room now on the main partition for all the data in the partition two. Just copy the data from partition 2 to the main then in Disk Utility select the second partition and click the minus at the bottom to remove it. Now grab the bottom right corner of the main partition as shown here and expand it all the way down then click apply.

This will perform a non-destructive expansion of the main partition. Remember data on the second partition will be gone unless you first move it over to the main or an external drive.

Backup first just to be safe.

3. Mactabulous thread starter macrumors member

Weasleboy, you're helpful as always! Thank you!

I… She does not have sufficient space on the primary partition, else I'd just transfer the files and readjust the partition scheme.

Can I use the existing two partition Time Machine backup to restore to this new one partition scenario?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes that would work. Just be careful to only manually copy back the second partition data.