Merge two TM backups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chickenlegs, Aug 20, 2015.

1. chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

Something odd appears to have happened to my Time Machine file structure after I had the hard drive replaced in my 27"iMac (as part of the Apple replacement programme).
    Following the successful installation of Yosemite from my most recent TM backup onto the new internal hard drive, TM has made a new folder within my TM external drive and given it a new computer name, and has created one brand new backup within this folder. Unfortunately, TM is now telling me that the drive is full (which it is), and no more backups can be carried out. I believe this is because before the installation of Yosemite, TM was successfully 'pruning' the old backups from the external drive out of the original folder and it now cannot as it isn't accessing the previous folder, but the new one it has created.
    I have researched a bit on the internet and there seems to be limited success in merging two TM backups together, but wondered if anyone here knew of a way, as I would rather try something than have to erase the whole disc and start again.
    Many thanks.
    Chris

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no way that I have ever seen to merge two TM backups. You can just delete the old one though to free up that space.

3. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

Thank you for responding. I was hoping not to have to lose the backups as they date back to 2009 and can be quite useful in retrieving old information that might have been inadvertently deleted or changed. Looks like I might have to erase the disc and start again.

4. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Or possibly buy a new larger disk, since you were already pruning old entries, and seem to wish to maximise how far back your backups go.