Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
Also when your in the home screen, hit the home button and from what ever page your on in the home screen, it will go back to page one. Big deal for me was the podcast download, that alone made me very happy :D

Doesn't work for me. Home button as in the round button at bottom?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Doesn't work for me. Home button as in the round button at bottom?

If your on any other screen besides the first home screen, pressing the home button will take you to the first home screen. When the little dot is all the way towards the left. This only works if you have more than one screen full of apps.

Your not seeing street view because google maps wasnt updated on the ipod.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Not a whole lot: Updates to safari, new podcast section in iTunes, small changes to the app store, option to disable auto-correct text, changes to way wide html emails are displayed in the mail app. That's about it.

Well, it fixed the wi-fi bug on my 2G (don't have to power off and then on after turning on wi-fi and connecting to a router), and mine does seem a lot faster.

The wi-fi fix alone made the update worth it.

Mike

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Street view is of debatable use for Touch users as it could only be used when you have wi-fi access which is more often than not, non existant as there is no mobile data service (a different complaint :)) so it is only of use when going no where.

Yeah it could be nice, but it doesn't rate that high on the wants list.

if you follow that logic why is the maps application even on the ipod touch in the first place? please stop trying to defend apples bs. thanks.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
think about it simply like this. we can see directions for in the car but we cannot for public transport or walking. doesnt make sense to me at all.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I was doing the online chat at apple.com and the person helping me said it doesn't have it because the iPod touch doesn't have a GPS.
Except for that doesn't make sense since the 1G iPhone doesn't and it got the update.

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
The Reason

The reason we didn't get maps is because we don't pay a huge amount of money like iPhone users so we are second class citizens:mad:

:apple:

I was doing the online chat at apple.com and the person helping me said it doesn't have it because the iPod touch doesn't have a GPS.
Except for that doesn't make sense since the 1G iPhone doesn't and it got the update.

The reason we didn't get maps is because we don't pay a huge amount of money like iPhone users so we are second class citizens:mad:

No, Google Maps were not updated in 2.2 for the iPod touch.

Why? Because Steve said so. Sometimes I just don't understand the reasons.

These quotes = :mad: :mad: :mad:

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico

They're probably going to have it come with iPod touch 2.3, which I predict will be released at MacWorld 2009.
I wouldn't be surprised if they made us pay for this update like they did when an update was released after MacWorld 2008.
It better have more features, such as copy/paste and backgrounds, or I'm not paying a dime.

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
The safari just crashed for the first time since I got the 2.2 update . I thought they fixed the crashing?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
if you follow that logic why is the maps application even on the ipod touch in the first place? please stop trying to defend apples bs. thanks.

Not defending Apple at all, just stating the obvious, vs an iPhone which is always internet connected the Street view might have been something they wanted included but for reasons we don't know it didn't make it.

Go see my posts in other threads about my disdain over the continued lack of copy/cut/paste functionality which I have on my cheapo cell phone. I am far from an Apple fan boi. Oh yea, the only Apple products I own are two iPods.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I don't rember the bar going away in 2.1 . For the camera sound i dont think i ever tried it on my 2g.

No, it definitely went away. I know. 100% sure. Camera click noise is also nothing new (I had my volume on high in class during a lecture and I took a screeny, so 10000000000000% sure on that one lol :D).

Heres's one that I found interesting: Nike+ Remote support for 2nd gens. (as opposed to simply sensor connectivity) That's new, right?

nikeremote

and

nike-amp-thumb.jpg

add them together and it = wirelessly controlled iPod touch- with no dongle! Woot!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I don't rember the bar going away in 2.1 . For the camera sound i dont think i ever tried it on my 2g.

Went away for me too, it would only stay for as long as a webpage was loading, then automatically disappeared once it was done (unless I was at the very top of the webpage, clearly).

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
In one of the other forums here it was said that Maps no longer caches images. Has anyone been able to check this? The caching of the maps was one of the cool things, it would be a shame if they have taken this ability away.

imkm

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
Florida.
Not Very Much ~ !

:But, along with everything that everybody else said, when listening to a podcast that does not have album art, the image has been changed to a stylized figure with three bands going around the thing that I believe is supposed to be a head.
:D

Attachments

• IMG_0273.PNG
    IMG_0273.PNG
    96.8 KB · Views: 77

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Hidden/Unannounced Features of 2.2

most of the time there are hidden/unannounced features in the iPod Touch updates so post the one one's you've found here.

here's what i've found so far in 2.0/2.1 you couldn't take a screenshot of the "slide to unlock" screen, now you can.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i just realized that now when an app updates then it does the whole updating process in the apps original spot instead of updating in the first available spot then moving it.

crmccashin

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
Hi

I've just updated the new firmware and i don't see anything new or exciting.
Whats the purpose of this update?

Phone 2.2 Software Update for iPod touch

This update contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• Enhancements to Mail
- resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching
of email
- improved formatting of wide HTML email
• Fixed issues where some users could not connect to
secure WPA Wi-Fi networks
• Improved stability and performance of Safari
• Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes
application
• Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes
you to the first Home screen
• Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard
Settings

Products compatible with this software update:
• iPod touch
• iPod touch (2nd generation)

For feature descriptions and complete instructions, see the user guide for your iPod touch at:
<http://support.apple.com/manuals/ipodtouch>

For more information about iPod touch, go to:
<http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch>

To troubleshoot your iPod touch, or to view additional support information go to:
<http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtouch>

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>

pkagel

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
SoCal ExPat
I'm pretty peeved that I have to leave the screen on in order for the sound to stay on when I have it in the charger. I like to listen to a program that plays ocean sounds while I sleep and now I have to leave the screen on. This makes it so I have to cover the darn thing so that I don't have to see the light coming off of it but this also lowers the sound. This "fix" needs to go away.

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Way back when (almost a year ago) the iPod touch didn't have mail/notes/maps/stocks/weather, I remember jailbreaking my iPod touch and downloading those applications from people who had iPhones. Then, I simply put them on my iPod touch, and voala, my iPod was better.

Could the same type of system happen if someone were to post their Maps.app from their iPhone running 2.2?

Blunk

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Is it possible to copy Maps.app from an iPhone and put it back into iPod Touch???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.