[Merged] i5 2.4 vs 2.53?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a9205, Apr 13, 2010.

1. a9205 macrumors member

i know they boost to 2.93 vs 3.06ghz,
    but do you reckon there will be a sufficiant performance increase, in the UK the price diff is £150.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.4GHz is fine, the difference is over 1£ per MHz..

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The significance is 130MHz, so if that is worth 150GBP, then go for it.

Btw, 130MHz is a little more than 5% of the CPUs power.

4. DELINDA macrumors regular

2.4 vs 2.53

Looking to buy soon and want here your views on 2.4 vs 2.53 ghz . I don't game or do video . Thank you

5. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

You won't find much of a difference. Things like hard drive size, rpm, SSD versus traditional drives, and amount of RAM will make a much bigger difference in performance.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Either processor is going to be super-fast - so if you are not a power user, you might as well go with the base model and either save the cash or put it towards ram or a SSD drive as Hackint0sh mentioned.

7. DELINDA macrumors regular

Yes I do mean a 15" Spinnerlys . What is SSD . I have read a lot lately about intels i5 & 7 and clearly it's a gamer thing , in my opinion . Thats what apple is offering and thats my choice . Thanks to this forum I have decided on glossy instead of anti glare screen and 2.4 instead of 2.53 . I know I am not a power user nor am I a wizz at computers . If I want apple , thats it . So thanks for all the help guy's . Maybe someday I to can pass along what I have learned without insulting anyone .

8. heyendo30 macrumors newbie

I think this topic has already been discussed in several other threads on this forum, albeit maybe not directly. But, to answer your question:

The difference in the two models is the processor and the hard drive size (320 vs 500GB). There is a difference in price of 200 USD.

You are most interested in the processor, so I'll skip the HDD discourse. What do 130MHz offer you? In theory, a 5.4% speed increase. Since even a C2D processor is enough for everyday tasks, you will only see the 5% speed increase with heavy/heavier apps. You don't do any video or gaming, so I am guessing it isn't that important to you. (If you were a gamer then you would reallly need to be looking at the high-level 15" and 17" for their GPU). As those before me have said, if you aren't a power user, either will be more than enough. I am under the impression that you don't need the 130MHz.

The money could be better spent on other upgrades or just saved. For under 100 USD you could get yourself both a 500GB HDD and an external chassis for the existing hard drive. More storage AND money saved. Or why not an SSD? An SSD would give you so much more of a speed boost than 130MHz of CPU would. For 200 you should be able to get an SSD of 80GB and said chassis for the existing hard drive. Money wisely spent.

Or, and I cannot stress this enough, do nothing, and save 200 bucks. The entry-level MBP15" will still be really fast.

A solid-state drive (SSD) is a data storage device that uses solid-state memory. Generally they are much faster (depending on the brand), but are more expensive per GB. To know exactly what they offer, check the various threads on this site or even others.

Enjoy your future MBP.

9. BenLeong macrumors member

Where are some threads that discuss i5 2.4 versus 2.53?

I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything that specifically focused on the differences between the 2.4 and 2.53 i5 processors. I'm trying to make a decision between which one is best for me.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

10. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

Just to give you my input on the subject: (First off, I want to point out that there is not much difference between the actual performance boost a 2.53 i5 will give you in comparison to a 2.4 i5 that is identical in all respects with the exception of the faster clock speed)

I was facing the same dilemma as well and ended up going with the 2.53 GHz i5 for the following reasons: I originally ordered the 2.4 with my student discount and upgraded from the 320 GB HD to the 500 GB HD @ 7200 rpm, and got the HI RES Glossy screen. I then realized that because the 2.53 GHz already comes with a 500 GB HD (only 5400 rpm but it is still not as expensive to upgrade to the 7200 rpm in comparison to the 2.4 GHz) it is only an extra $60 to go from a 2.4 to a 2.53 with identical specs everywhere else (i.e. 500 GB HD @ 7200 rpm, HI RES Glossy, etc.) with my student discount (Note: I am not sure if the price difference holds if you are not eligible for a student discount). Given that I want my new computer to last as long as possible I could definitely justify spending the extra $60 for the 2.53.

[EDIT:] I just checked the regular Apple Online Store and without the student discount I would have spent an extra $107 (as opposed to $60) to upgrade from a 2.4 to a 2.53 with identical specs everywhere else. This is still not a lot but if you are not eligible for the student discount the choice is less clear.

The moral to be derived from my particular situation is that in the education store (and once again I must re-iterate that this might not hold if you do not have the student discount) the biggest reason for the difference in price between the 2.4 and 2.53 comes from the difference in HD specs. If you are planning on purchasing your 2.4 as a CTO from Apple and upgrading it to a 500 GB HD you are probably going to find, like I did, that there is not a whole lot of difference in price between the 2.4 and 2.53. And if you are trying to "future-proof" your new MBP like I am you can probably justify the extra price for the 2.53.

On a related note even though I would never be able to exploit an i7 2.66 to its full potential (given what I use a laptop for) I still wanted one but, there is a $150 difference between the i5 2.53 and a $210 difference between the i5 2.4 (even with my student discount). This difference was too much for me to consider the i7.

I hope this helps.

11. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

Wow, this is word for word my thought process.

Only difference is I want a SSD, so trying to figure that out. But i agree 1000%

12. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Don't forget you have to pay taxes on the extra $$

Intel did a bad job on the improvements between processors. The 2.4 to 2.5 is about 3-4% and the i5 2.4 to i7 2.6 is about 12%

Since the performance of the 2.4 pretty much beats out most of the better and best configurations of the previous MBP's you get a great deal with the 2.4 even if you upgrade the HDD and the Display. Which is what I did, and then spent the $100 towards applecare.

13. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

My differences in prices shown above reflect the 7% sales taxes incurred for purchases in the state of Georgia. Thus, I took my total order amount (including taxes) for a 2.53 and subtracted it from the total amount (including taxes) that I would have spent on a similarly configured 2.4 and it came out to roughly $60.

But your point is valid given that not everyone in the US pays 7% sales tax like I do.

14. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

To me the question is i5 2.4 or i7 2.6. I can't figure one reason to purchase the i5 2.53 but then again I'm using a ssd so the extra HD size does nothing for me.

15. aznwar macrumors newbie

15 inch i5 2.4 vs 2.53?

Hey, I'm a PC guy, looking to switch to a Macbook Pro. I was wondering 2.4 or 2.53?

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

130MHz and 180GB more HDD space for 200USD.

For what do you need the Mac?

And as with most of these daily threads, the lower version will be just fine, unless you value seconds or sometimes a minute or two in your hourly rendering processes.

17. newmacboyoutube macrumors member

More clarification please!

Clarify more such as how much space do you need, and what you will be doing with it. :apple:

18. rectifiability macrumors newbie

I have nothing to add except to say that this was my exact consideration in shopping for the most recent MBP. I was between the two i5 models, I wanted a 500 GB/7200 hard drive and the high-resolution, glossy screen, and I used the educational discount. I compared the two i5's and noticed the trivial difference and then spent the extra $60. To read your account was funny and striking. I only wish you had then added "I then charged it to my bursar's account at the bookstore and plan to pay it off slowly over the next year, since in what universe would a grad student be able to afford this hugely-expensive computer?" :)

Just wondering, have you gotten yours yet? I ordered mine on Wednesday, but it only shipped out on Saturday. The UPS tracking, however, has only "billing information received." I'll survive the wait, but I'm itching to get this thing. It's my first mac. I've primarily been using a netbook for the past few months, and it's honestly perfectly fine for all of my computing needs, but I do look forward to the luxury of the MBP. I am still kind of reeling at having spent twice my normal triannual budget on a laptop, though. But since my last big entertainment laptop (a 15.5" dual-core HP thing) eventually melted, I figured it'd be worth it this time to spend more on quality. I did love that plastic guy, though...

19. bottombracket macrumors newbie

This was my exact thought process in purchasing my first Mac.

I spent the $60 and upgraded to the 2.53 with education discount.

2.53/500@7200/hi-res glossy on the way!

bb

20. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

I completely understand about being unable to truly afford the 15" given that I am a student as well. I had been saving up for the past 6 months and still didn't have enough. But luckily I got a HUGE tax refund for my education expenses which allowed me to buy the 15" out right. Although I did have to put most of the price on my Barclay card given that I hadn't yet received my tax refund when I ordered. But luckily I received my refund on Saturday and was able to pay of my credit card balance in full.

I ordered my 15" on the Tuesday it came out. Right now it is in transit to the US and will be delievered by 10:30 AM on Wednesday morning :D. It would have been longer but I called Apple to complain and they upgraded me to expedited shipping for free. Anyways, this is my first Mac as well and I cannot wait.

21. aznwar macrumors newbie

Well, I'm just 13 and want a mac that will alst for a few years. Im planning on getting an ssd in a few months so hdd doesnt matter. also i might do some gaming whe n theres steam. and some video stuff and yea.

22. PaulDCarlucci macrumors newbie

These processors will actively fluctuate speed up and down based upon their thermal limits. If one core is underloaded, the other core can clock up in 133 MHz chunks. The 2.53 just fluctuates slightly higher. Even with both cores active, the 2.4 GHz will clock up both cores if it has enough thermal headroom.

23. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

I will be buying my first macbook. I am trying to decide between the 2.4 and 2.53. I know most people say that the processor difference will be minor for most applications, but i wanted to make sure for what i was doing.

I'll be doing programming, illustration, video editing and live djing. should i be worried about getting the bottom of the line MBP? (I plan on getting a SSD regardless)

24. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 2.4GHz model will fare fine with your needs, unless you plan to edit and DJ live and illustrate and program at the same time, which even the 2.53GHz would have a struggle or two with.

25. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

hahaha thanks man

edit actually just wondering, what kind of things would you want the 2.53 for over the 2.4? or even the i7 over the i5s?