Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utcoug

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
I know it doesn't print directly but that does not rise to the level of devastation for me ;)

I agree, this is not a problem. Most people transmit information to be read electronically anyway don't they? I understand for someone that would need to print (like a student) this may be a problem, but wouldn't you be using a laptop or desktop if you needed to work on something important enough to print it?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
sucks for people who need this, however, I don't think I would ever need to print from my iPad so it doesn't bother me.

It's kind of like the "Won't use Blu-Ray on my mac TOO often but it really sucks that it doesn't have it" type thing.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It is kind of funny if you think about it.

If everyone had an iPad, then there would be very little need to print anything ever.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It is kind of funny if you think about it.

If everyone had an iPad, then there would be very little need to print anything ever.

It's nice to dream of a paperless society. I still think were at least a decade or two away.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Oh, this is bad news. I was hoping the iPad could replace my laptop at the office, but now I would have to keep the laptop just so I can print. :(

And no, I can't just email my documents to the recipients, some things need to be mailed, plus my office requires us to keep printed copies of everything.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh, this is bad news. I was hoping the iPad could replace my laptop at the office, but now I would have to keep the laptop just so I can print. :(

And no, I can't just email my documents to the recipients, some things need to be mailed, plus my office requires us to keep printed copies of everything.

+1. Right now I'm glad I waited to buy one. I'm hoping some things get "resolved" in the next few months as to tweaks/apps/OS 4 that tips the scales for me.

ckbook

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Could you people get a freaking clue?? While there may not be printing native on the device, there are apps available for the iphone that allow printing. Stop being so freaking closed minded and think outside the box.

Guess what you cant freakin tweet either on this device. I'm devastated

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Find a job in the 21st century?

:)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Could you people get a freaking clue?? While there may not be printing native on the device, there are apps available for the iphone that allow printing. Stop being so freaking closed minded and think outside the box.

Bye.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

So you think it's acceptable for Apple to retool "Pages" but not offer a native printing function within their own app.

Ok. That's fine and dandy if you don't have an issue with it. I find it ridiculous. And I don't need to get a clue to see how wrong that is.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I can see this being a real limitation for some. Fortunately, not so at all for me.

I think i print about 1-2 pages/month, usually things I have to sign, scan, and email back to someone.

Beyond that, just boarding passes.

I'll have to keep using the iMac for this stuff I guess, though I'm confident that in time the iPad will have this capability, whether in OS4 or from apps (and yes I know about some of the apps already out there)

JasonH

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
This will be a huge disadvantage to college students like myself.
Most of my references and assignments need to be printed at one time or another.
Now I'll have to email them/iwork.com? to myself and print them from another computer, or hope that a decent app comes along to allow wifi printing.

wrxdrunkie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
I don't want it to replace anything (laptop)

But I still want it to be able to print, so if I write something in pages, once I am finished I can not print wirelessly from iWork?

That sucks, what will be the process? Email it to yourself and print it from your desktop?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I don't want it to replace anything (laptop)

But I still want it to be able to print, so if I write something in pages, once I am finished I can not print wirelessly from iWork?

That sucks, what will be the process? Email it to yourself and print it from your desktop?

You know it's funny - I recall at one point having had a printer with an email address... I wonder if that's still a thing...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Is emailing files the only way to get files off the iPad? Wasn't there talk of some sort of file sharing system, either over wifi or the usb cable?

JasonH

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
You know it's funny - I recall at one point having had a printer with an email address... I wonder if that's still a thing...

Interesting Idea...
That could work with any printer as long as there was some sort of software running on a computer that would check the address and print messages/attachments that arrived.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Is emailing files the only way to get files off the iPad? Wasn't there talk of some sort of file sharing system, either over wifi or the usb cable?

Some of the apps can export their files, like the iWork apps. I assume this is done by connecting the iPad to your computer via USB. I suspect the export/import will be handled within iTunes.

As for printing.... where are all these printers going to be that some of you are so upset you can't print to? Floating in space? No... they will be in your home or office, connected to a computer (directly or via a wired or wireless network). Printing from the iPad is as simple as exporting the file and printing it with the computer.

Plus, as repeatedly mentioned, there ARE iPhone apps that allow you to print directly from the iPhone without exporting to a computer first.

Mark

seafurydriver

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Is the iPad for work or play?

So you give us iWork to allow us to be productive but you don't allow us to print. Really? How is this supposed to work? Do I send documents to my mobileme account and then print from my MBP? Or do I just email them from my iPad to my MBP.

Looks like my MBP just became a very expensive print server.

OK, that's not really accurate. I will stick with my original plan and keep my MBP at the office and commute with the iPad. But this is going to hurt being on the road. Printing travel itinerary docs and boarding passes are the first thing I can think of. Engineering drawings (big ones, not 8.5"x11") are much easier to work from in group meetings. Most of these drawings are now exported and sent as PDF files, but I can't see 8-12 people huddled over my iPad.

This decision came from Apple marketing, not engineering. This is all about product differentiation between the iPad and Macbook Pro. In short, it stinks.

I'm still as excited as ever, just not sure how I'm going to justify at the office a computer that can't print.

And what really gets me is that the PC Netbook Courier HP crowd is going to be all over this. Did you like the ads saying "See the entire Flash based web"? Well can you imagine what they're dreaming up tonight?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
As for printing.... where are all these printers going to be that some of you are so upset you can't print to? Floating in space? No... they will be in your home or office, connected to a computer (directly or via a wired or wireless network). Printing from the iPad is as simple as exporting the file and printing it with the computer.

I have a wireless printer connected to my home network. If I could print from the iPad, I don't need to turn on the computer just to print a document.

Plus, as repeatedly mentioned, there ARE iPhone apps that allow you to print directly from the iPhone without exporting to a computer first.

And I'll certainly be looking into those. But third party solutions tend to be crunkier than OS level solutions. Hopefully there's something that fits my needs!

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
No printing? Lame!

Sorry I'm not as cool as you open minded people who think we live in a paperless society, or those who love syncing to computers and finishing your work there.

Lame Apple. Real Lame!

I don't expect the iPad to replace my macbook, but I do expect it to do basic tasks like print the results created with my iPad productivity applications.

Lame!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.