Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alldat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I still have the version of MemoryInfo before the memory freeing feature was stripped away. It has helped me so many times on my 3G and 3GS with freeing up memory so things run smoother. I was thinking since the iPad will run iPhone apps, would this work and free up memory on the iPad? Or could something technically go wrong, so I shouldn't try it?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I still have the version of MemoryInfo before the memory freeing feature was stripped away. It has helped me so many times on my 3G and 3GS with freeing up memory so things run smoother. I was thinking since the iPad will run iPhone apps, would this work and free up memory on the iPad? Or could something technically go wrong, so I shouldn't try it?

Nothing could go wrong except maybe having to restart your iPad. I'm gonna try Free Memory as soon as I get my iPad :).

alldat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, this will be one of the first things I do. I'm curious to see about how much ram the iPad has.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
[to owners] How much RAM is there in the iPad?

Can't you people just download one of those memory-monitoring apps from the appstore and solve the **big** mistery? :rolleyes:

I read the iFixit teardown but they didn't say it....

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Can't you people just download one of those memory-monitoring apps from the appstore and solve the **big** mistery? :rolleyes:

I read the iFixit teardown but they didn't say it....

Typing on my iPad now. How to check for ram?

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Free: 98 MB
Inactive: 16 MB
Active: 28 MB
Wired: 47 MB

I'm too lazy to add those up. Not much at all.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It cannot possibly be less than an iPhone 3GS (256mb)....

So your results point towards 256mb and not 512mb as expected...

Well I'd be much happier if we have about 2 more people report results, so I can produce a more accurate result of how much there is in the device.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Well I'd be much happier if we have about 2 more people report results, so I can produce a more accurate result of how much there is in the device.

Of course.

Waiting for more confirmation, every help is welcome.

256mb looks more than enough right now, but they're a bit a PITA if we imagine an iPhone S 4.0 with multitasking....

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
This is weaksauce, the same RAM as the 3GS? Colour me disappointed. It has less free RAM than the 3GS after restart.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
this thing is rolling all over again.

bought iphone 3G with 128MB, feel enough for couple months until some games like the sims 3 crash and quit so often because lack of ram.

sold the 3G and bought the 3GS, 256mb is plenty.

if i buy the first gen iPad with 256MB only, it might be enough for a couple of months until the iPad specified apps are released, then the 256MB will be less than enough.

i think i better wait for the iPad WiFi+3GS. (hopefully with 512MB).

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Not to mention the possibility for multi-tasking is reduced now since more ram is good for holding multiple sessions.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
this thing is rolling all over again.

bought iphone 3G with 128MB, feel enough for couple months until some games like the sims 3 crash and quit so often because lack of ram.

sold the 3G and bought the 3GS, 256mb is plenty.

if i buy the first gen iPad with 256MB only, it might be enough for a couple of months until the iPad specified apps are released, then the 256MB will be less than enough.

i think i better wait for the iPad WiFi+3GS. (hopefully with 512MB).

Developers are coding with 256MB in mind, you won't have any slowdowns. Plus, it's clear that the iPad is significantly faster than the iPhone 3GS despite the same RAM limitations. I really don't think you'll run into any performance or stability issues using the current iPad.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Not necessarily. The Palm Pre has 256MB and handles multitasking beautifully.
Of course it can, it's relevant to the device and its size. A small phone like Pre doesn't need more than 256mb but a big device like the iPad that holds more data per resource is going to demand more.

You can't honestly tell me that Pre and the iPad with exact same software is going to have the same memory usage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.