[Merged] New AT&T Data Plan Rules Prohibit Streaming Video & Other High Bandwidth Use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drumjim85, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ModNote: Please see reply below for an apparent reversal in AT&T policy. Putting this at the top of the thread to increase visibility. --mkrishnan

from engadget

I love this "unlimited" data plan we have!

2. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

3. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Wow...that could severely restrict what can be done using at+t. I wonder how seriously will they enforce this rule? No youtube streaming on iphone? There are already skype and slingplayer apps for wm. Will those apps be shutdown? Can at+t users terminate their contracts with this new rule. This could get interesting...

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

If this is true, I may be highly tempted to switch to "another" device, once it's released.

If I am paying 30 per month, for 1mb internet at best, I better be able to use it for what I please.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I just saw this a few minutes ago. I might be returning the Slingbox solo that I just bought yesterday.

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Aren't we supposed to have a cap of 5GB? And I haven't even come close to that? And I even pay for texts too. That's kinda bull crap too on top of it.

And no, we won't be able to terminate our current contracts because AT&T says in their contract they may change their contract without notice of change.

7. weeman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A259g Safari/525.20)

I hate ATT

8. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You mean that you are going to switch to another carrier. This covers all ATT devices.

9. Drumjim85 thread starter macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

worst case it will be wifi only. And thethering will exist, but ATT will make you pay (a lot) for it.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

And you're not switching to Verizon, because they've had the same wording (that you can't stream, blah blah blah) in their data plans for years!

AFAIK, all four of the major carriers have "no P2P, streaming, [and more]" in their contracts now.

11. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

Profit>everything Else That Matters In The World

12. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

AT&T make a bad mistake

This is very bad news for us on AT&T. It's also very bad for those of us with the iPhone who would like to use it to it's fullest potential.

Wow!

A bad day for us all.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Don't worry guys, you can still watch movies on your iPhone while in the bathroom on the can. Seriously, they just eliminated 50% of the internet's uses with these rules. It's scary times when telecom companies start restricting how we can use the Internet. This has much broader implications than just restricting a potential Sling app.

14. aok1975 macrumors 6502

This may be a ground to break ones contract and not incur the ETF.

15. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

Man! i've been waiting very patiently for the slingplayer app. :(

16. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

Thank God I returned my iPhone and canceled my contract last month.:D

17. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i think this pretty much guarantees that slingbox will be wifi only

18. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

I love seeing how one wrong move can bring a company downhill..

Gotta love it!

Poor AT&T.

19. puliaficoc20 Guest

I have a feeling that if at&t keeps putting restrictions on the network like they are doing they will not get any type of extensions of being the iPhone exclusive provider when their contract is suppose to be up. I love my iphone but at&t's network sucks, the only spot i dont get service for calls is where I need to make the calls and that is mainly my house so thank god for skype. So with that I will deffineltly cut my plan because I will be on wifi and i have liek 2000 rollover minutes so I am really going to cut down the minutes, thats the one plus is the rollover.

Honestly though if I can not use applications where ever I am, when I pay for the unlimited data plan which we are forced to pay for which is capped anyway, then whatever. I will get the palm pre even even though I would hate to give up my iphone

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

First, this a crappy "news" story from engadget and why I don't trust many online-only sources for news. It may be true, but I see no link to the actual TOS nor anything aside from a few cherry-picked lines.

But I think this isn't as bad as the mob thinks. It's written in lawyer-speak, but I think I decoded a bit. There is a little "customer-initiated" in there, which I think is basically saying "no jailbreak." Had the engadget person asked an AT&T spokesperson, maybe we would know exactly what's up.

21. Drumjim85 thread starter macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

It's right here

22. Pared macrumors 65816

Yet, here you still are.

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, look before you jump. Sprint has the same restrictions that AT&T just added, so a getting a Pre won't help you any. Verizon and T-Mobile also have the same restrictions. :(

Sprint
    http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/SubmitPhone

Verizon
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...phoneFirst&action=viewPlanList&continue=true#

T-Mobile
    http://www.t-mobile.com/company/website/termsconditions.aspx

24. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

It sucks that AT&T doesn't let iPhone users turn off their data plan. Not everyone uses the internet 24/7 wherever they go.

25. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

How would Att even tell what you are using your data for.