[Merged] Sites using HTML5 for video / HTML5 as a replacement for Flash

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zub3qin, Mar 28, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

So far, the only things I have read about are rumors that CBS is testing their online streaming video using HTML5 which is compatible with iPad.

And confirmation that youtube is converting to HTML5 so it is compatible.

Edit: and NBC.com has full episodes compatible with iPhone so therefore iPad.

Any other sites going to stream video effectively to iPad?

Also, as a side note, I caught this unbelievably cool demo of what flash can do that others can't-- check it out. It is a video stream where you can move around in the stream by moving your mouse in the video. This would be amazing for sporting events or concert video.... but it is only flash.

http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2008/5/7/360-video

http://www.immersivemedia.com/work/cbc/hockey/index.html

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Pretty sure NBC is on the list (or the 'coming soon' list) but can't remember why I think so.

3. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

NBC is on Hulu, which I don't think is interested in iPhone/iPad compatibility (at least up till now) but I am not sure why.

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'll try to find where I saw it. I think it got crosslinked in some of the discussion regarding CBS.

Edit: Okay, it was this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=883204

I haven't actually tested this with my iPhone but seems easy enough to verify.

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Yeah, I'm currently watching The Office from last Thursday on my iPhone. So NBC appears to go on the list. (This is via NBC.com, not Hulu.) An embedded QT player gets loaded.

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Is it a big deal for sites to switch over? I would think with the amount of iPhone os devices out there and obviously a lot more to come, if it doesn't take much resources to switch over and ditch flash all sites would want to do it.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hulu's been widely reported to be working on something, although I believe the latest rumors are that it will not be free. Some sites, like Netflix, that use Silverlight instead of Flash, may possibly also be able to use the Silverlight server-side solution for streaming H.264.

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

My suspicion is that a lot of the sites won't 'ditch' Flash at first, they'll just auto-detect your browser (and thus device) and give you whatever format is appropriate. This is just a guess, though, and maybe it doesn't make that much sense from a deployment standpoint.

9. Arnia macrumors member

The BBC's iPlayer system, which provides video-on-demand for most (depending on rights issues of course) BBC programmes, has worked on the iPhone and iPod Touch for over two years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/03/bbc_iplayer_on_iphone_behind_t.html). The BBC has also made a commitment to open its archive as part of the proposed shakeup in line with the new charter negotiations (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8545020.stm which also include shutting down a lot of the BBC's subsites, closing two of its digital radio stations, etc. so it is a mixed bag). This will most likely use the iPlayer system.

10. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

11. lotusindigo macrumors regular

lotusindigo

Does Apple present a substitute for Flash?

I know that with HTML 5, we'll be able to view video content as long as those websites support it. But that doesn't help with other types of media, such that require interaction and animation. I was watching the Penguin Books youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QCAPv-IKuU

For those who haven't seen it, it's preview of how Penguin wants to use the iPad to create interactive ebooks. It's varied and hard to describe, watch the vid and you'll see what I mean. It got me thinking about how normal people (ie. people who are not established publishing companies with their own programmers) can create similar interactive books for iPad, if not with Flash? It has to be possible, the thing is I'm not the most tech-current person in the world and I really don't know what software would be used. Help me out?

12. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Those Penguin ebook demos are actual iPad applications.

Sorry but I don't think webpages need to have animation. The purpose of a website is the content. You can easily display content without the need to make it pretty and flashy and animated. Just show me what I want to know and I'm happy. Sites have proven you can make a great looking website without flash and it's viewable on nearly any device with or without flash. It reaches more people that way and clearly benefits the users and the content producers.

There is no easy way to do what you're asking. Yes, while flash would make it easier it's not worth it in the long run in my opinion due to the other big pitfalls of support Flash any longer than we already have been.

HTML 5 merely supports viewing of video content (from sites that support HTML) in browsers without the need for a plugin such as flash. Will it be expanded on? Very possible

Only way to make content for the iPad is either using open web technologies or the iPhone OS developer kit.

13. lotusindigo macrumors regular

lotusindigo

I'm not trying to make an argument for Flash, there's no need to sell me on that point.

I just want to know what programs Penguin Books might have been using to create those eBooks, because I have no idea. So what you're saying is that Penguin would have had to create an app from the ground up? There's no way to say, use an external program to create an interactive eBook and upload the file to read via iBooks?

14. IronLogik macrumors 6502

iBooks is mostly text based. It might support pictures and images in it (i'm not familiar with epub and it's limitations).

But yes. Penguins demos that you seen there are definitely their own applications. They built them from the ground up.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...oks_bets_big_on_ipad_interactive_content.html

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace