Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia

SodiumBenzoate

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
No... it weighs almost twice as much as what I own now. :eek: Granted, it is more featureful and faster, but 3.4 lbs is too much. I guess it's not that large for a notebook with a 13" screen, but again... I'd rather they made it with a 12" screen (or even smaller) and it weighed half a pound less....

What do you own currently?? An R500?

As far as 13" laptops go, this is very small. It weighs marginally more than the MBA and X300, and is thinner at its thickest point than both of them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
frankly, i dont like the trackpad, those dots look raised to me, and i like smooth trackpads. if it is smooth, wtf is with the dots?

SodiumBenzoate

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
frankly, i dont like the trackpad, those dots look raised to me, and i like smooth trackpads. if it is smooth, wtf is with the dots?

Presumably they're dimples like many of HP's other trackpads. They feel basically smooth to the touch.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What do you own currently?? An R500?

Eee... almost, as I said, but not quite 2x. For a 13" screen, yeah, it's not too badly sized. But I guess my standards have gone down in terms of what I think is as big or as heavy as an ultraportable can be. There are too many computers coming onto the market at 2.5 lbs or less to go for 3.4 lbs... again, for me.

illtype

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
vodoo is amazing. Dont know to much about there laptops. The omen is the best pc I have ever seen in real life...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
The Voodoo Envy does look nice, but it is still a PeeCee.

Not sure what to think of the Omen though...it looks nice, but I like the design of my Mac Pro better. :)

Phillyzero

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Hmm, here's a rundown of the Envy. I do give kudos to the look and such, the instant on thing seems pretty neat.

punkybadhip

May 23, 2008
Voodoo envy video, IOS feature, and price.

Long video of Envy, shows it from every angle, and its powerbrick.

In addition, it shows the "Voodoo IOS" in short, you can check your email, or surf the internet without booting into your OS! Very nice feature for an ultra-portable!

This is very tempting for me, looks like I might consider trading my Mac for a ... PC!

The only thing that bothers me about the Voodoo, is that it looks "glossy" particularly when it is open. Glossy is bad, and rather tasteless.

Price is around US$2000.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/10/voodoo-floats-13-3-inch-envy-133-in-the-air/

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I have one of the older Envys. This model is definitely a step-up. I'm surprised it is so nice for Voodoo's low end model. My Envy has a 12" screen, is green, and has a tattoo. I rarely use it these days since I love my MacBook Pro SO much!

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
it does look and sounds nice. I bought a macbook air and I still love my air after seeing that but now I want to own both. It seems that it polished the problems that macbook air has. I would have to say good job for all the makers of this machine

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
If it ran OSX and updated successfully I would get one tomorrow. Carbon-fiber...bad ass!

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
i don't understand how people can say that laptop looks "nice". how can it be w/ those huge grills, squared design, unappealing material type, tasteless juxtaposition of black and white (especially when opened), and it is just too da*n glossy!

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
i don't understand how people can say that laptop looks "nice". how can it be w/ those huge grills, squared design, unappealing material type, tasteless juxtaposition of black and white (especially when opened), and it is just too da*n glossy!

I agree completely.

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
I'm not a fan of HP and I personally find it to be a complete rip off of both the MBA and Intel's new laptop.. whatever it's called.. oh well..
Intel doesn't produce laptops. They did make a demo or concept laptop hoping to encourage some better designs from the laptop makers. And VooDoo has done so as intended.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
It's okay...for a Windows box. I'll keep my MBA, thanks, but I can see why someone who wants a Windows machine might opt for this.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I have an Air and have just got rid of an X300, but this whole class of 13.3" machine is IMO in the half-ass area - especially the Air, but that's an argument for, well, many, many other threads.

X300 is not hugely short of a Sony SZ once you deck it out with everything, and the Envy 'starts from' 1.53Kg's. I'm sure the Envy will have significantly less build quality problems than the Air, but ultimately it's too heavy for what it is (a 2.5Ghz Penryn, dual X3100/8400m, 6-hour SZ's weight 'ends at' 1.79kg) and it's also kind of uninspiring-looking to me. Perhaps it's the colour but it just doesn't do it for me.

But it has some really nice touches - The power brick is one of the most innovative parts of the Envy. It incorporates a wifi access point with an RJ45 jack, so wherever you're charging it (with higher wattage than the chronically slow-charging Air) that has a cabled network port you can get online with the Envy. That is a great idea for roving people.

While the Envy doesn't tempt me, the Omen on the other hand - it looks great. I already own two 'Skulltrail' PC's at the moment but once it's available on these shores I may just have to shuffle them off for some other use and buy a couple of Omens with a similar spec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.