Merging 2 part Blu Ray Movies into One

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by miksterman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. miksterman macrumors member

Has anyone attempted to try and merge the Lord of the Rings extended blu ray into 1 movie file to play on Apple TV? I'm using MakeMKV and Handebrake, what else would I need and what would be the steps to do it if someone has?

2. mic j macrumors 68030

I have done it. Multiple ways to do it, but I used mkvtoolnix.

3. salohcin macrumors member

I also have used mkvtoolnix to do this. Once you've ripped both halves with MakeMKV, open the MKV of the first half in mkvtoolnix and then append the MKV of the second half to the first. Click "Start Muxing" and you're done! The output file can then be run through handbrake as you would any other MKV file.

4. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

So I took a look at mkvtoolnix. Is there a way to trim the few seconds of black at the end of part 1 and beginning of part 2 of the LOTR movies? How would go about it and figuring out the timing to clip each part before merging?

5. mic j macrumors 68030

There is a way to set the end point, numerically. I remember reading on the AVS forum people were giving the values they used. So I would go there and do a search. The values varied a bit and it will also depend on whether you have the extended editions or regular, so it may take some trial and error. But I know there is guidance over there that will help.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

7. mic j macrumors 68030

It works for mkv files. Doesn't matter if the mkv was ripped from a dvd or BR.

8. iamsen47 macrumors regular

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=48641&page=2
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=316084&postcount=38

9. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the post Iamsen47, you beat me to the punch of posting those steps after I read them on the same forum. However, the numbers for FOTR still leaves a bit of black in between the cuts scenes, which I didn't care for. I ended up changing the numbers to using 6337s for part 1 and 00:00:02 for part 2 and got a perfect cut between scenes without any trace of black. Oh, and on the Mac version of MKVMerge when editing the chapters on part 2 you must go to the Chapter Editor menu and select Load, select the FOTR part 2 MKV file, this will then load the chapters for FOTR part 2. Dragging and dropping doesn't work.