merging a partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ultra7k, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

I recently deleted an old partition that had an old recovery on the drive. Now it's just a spare partition of 650mb sitting there.

My question is if I merge it (the now empty partition) with the rest of the 500gb drive it was originally a part of (the 500gb has data on it), will I lose data that I currently have on the 500gb partition?

Thanks!

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I don't believe so, but you should definitely have a backup before attempting it.

3. simsaladimbamba

If the 650 MB partition comes after/below the 500 GB partition, it will work via selecting the 650 MB partition and then pressing the - button in Disk Utility, pressing APPLY and then dragging the 500 GB partition border corner to the bottom while in the Partition tab. Then press APPLY.

[​IMG]

4. bobright macrumors 601

I am in the same situation as the OP except my partition that I want to delete/merge comes before the partition that I want to keep. How do I go about preserving the data on the Mac Clone Boot Drive while merging or deleting Misc which has no data? BTW I am talking about an external HDD as you can see

Attached Files: