Merging Apple ID's

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Dingo Dave 69, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I created an iTunes Apple ID years back and it is a gmail account. Now I have my iCloud email address which I use for everything and my old gmail ID for purchases. Is there anyway to change this so all of my old purchases are linked to the iCloud account and I can just use the one account?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Unless something has recently changed at Apple, no.

3. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I looked in to this before and couldn't find a way. Seems really odd and annoying this has not been fixed. I presume the majority of people here have this problem.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep. I have an old iTunes account that is just a username. For some reason when i got my iPhone it wouldn't let me convert it to an iCloud account. So all of my music is purchased with the iTunes account, and app purchases and iCloud stuff is managed with my iCloud account. I don't even use it for email outside of Apple stuff since I have a personal Gmail account and a school Gmail account.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... I feel your pain and would like to merge also. Tim Cook mentioned a couple years or so ago they were "working on it", but since then it has been crickets. :(

6. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I guess the wait continues to when we can just use one account. I use gmail as my primary address but everything else is now on iCloud. Will look back again in another 12 months on this, here's hoping.

7. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Love the positive attitude. I'm sure they'll figure something out at some point. :)

In the meantime, I'll just sit over here waiting for Megaman ZX 3.......

8. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I think this is the type of situation where feedback to Apple could really be helpful! I too have the same problem. Years ago, I got an iTunes account with an old Gmail address that I no longer really use. I then got a .Mac address, which eventually became my current iCloud account, that I use for everything - email, calendars, contacts, iCloud Drive, etc etc.

Now, though, I can't merge the two, since both my iTunes account and my iCloud accounts are considered their own, separate Apple IDs. This is a problem for me and basically means that I can't use some features, such as Apple Music Family Sharing. Not gonna lie, it kinda feels like I'm being inadvertently punished for being an early adopter of Apple's services.

9. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Ah, the eternal problem.

Honestly, we've been struggling with this since many years ago (since the appearence of MobileMe, I think).

If Apple really wanted to offer a solution for this problem, it would be already solved at this point. But it's not, so it won't.