Merging audio tracks

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rye9, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I have two tracks in iTunes that I would like to make into one longer song/file... what program can I use to do this and how would I go about doing so?

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

The fact they are in iTunes is almost irrelevant. iTunes is just a player, like a souped up QuickTime if you like. What you need to know is what format they are in. IE, wav, aac, mp3? etc.. Lossy formats like aac and mp3 are really not ideal for working with. Many audio programs won't touch them, which limits your options some. Plus, if it's music you bought from the iTunes store, which is a protected aac format, then you have even less options. As little else but iTunes will deal with those files.

However, whatever format they are in, iTunes will let you burn them to an audio CD, which you should then re-import as wav files. As wav files are much easier for just about any audio application you care to mention to work with.

So, software to merge/mix your wav tracks. You have a LOT of choice, and opinions on what is best are very subjective. Some apps are free, some cost. Naturally the better ones you will have to pay for.
    Logic, Ableton Live, DJ Traktor studio.. You might even be able to use Garageband. It depends how much work needs doing to achieve what you need. Im sure folks will chime in with other software that could do the job too.

Good luck :)

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Absolutely. For something as simple as this, Garageband will do nicely. Just do the burn-and-reimport-as-WAV-or-AIFF trick, as explained by Luap, and you can then arrange them any way you like in a Garageband project.

- Martin

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Perfect, thank you. I merged the tracks and I have the slideshow completed. Now I have one last question, although not audio related, however I thought this might be easier than posting a new thread. Anyways, I plan on uploading this to YouTube, and I don't know whether to export the slideshow from iPhoto to a 320x240 size, or 720x480. Also, is it normal for the file size to be large? (before music, it was 133MB, so it'll be even bigger now...)

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

YouTube will re-encode your movie. Optimizing video for YouTube isn't an exact science, but in general I'd say that higher quality can't hurt, so I would go for the better resolution (720x480 in your case). That way, the multiple encodes (yours and YouTube's) will probably less total damage to the video. Just make sure you stay within the size restrictions that YouTube makes.

And yes, video files get very, very large!

- Martin