Merging content from two iTunes accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Maury, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Maury macrumors 6502

This is a repost to get some new eyeballs.

I have an account for my daughter on this machine. She used it to burn some CD's and buy some iTunes music and apps using gift cards on an account in her name.

Then she synched it with her brother's account on another machine. The iTunes account was his, so everything was replaced. She then burned more CDs and purchased more music and apps using additional gift cards that she typed into his iTunes account.

Now I want to merge all this back into her real account. Is this possible?

I tried making a new temp account to sync the phone to so at least everything would physically be on this machine. But when your try to sync to a new account, iTunes says it will remove everything from the phone. Is that true?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

No, the content is tied to the account with which it was purchased.

Yes it is.

3. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

I am willing to re-buy content on one account if need be.

So let me give you a scenario…

1) I buy an iPhone
    2) I buy music though the iTunes store on the iPhone
    3) I buy a Mac
    4) I sync my iPhone to my new Mac

All my purchases disappear?

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

Thats not the same situation because you would authorise your Mac with the same account you bought the songs on iphone with and then you could transfer the purchases to your mac.

Your problem is multiple accounts.

5. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

You should be able to copy the music files from the iTunes directory on her brother's computer to a thumb drive, and then just drag those files into iTunes on her other computer. If you had a single iTunes account, you could easily do it with the the "home sharing" feature.