Merging desktop sign in identity

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WWT, Jun 7, 2014.

1. WWT, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

WWT macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just bought an iMAC... When I first started the imac up i created a new user account and bought word for that account, lets call the first user account '111'.

I then connected the imac to my old desktop computer and migrated/transferred all my information over to the imac, very successfully. Lets call that user account '222'.

The problem: after the desktop migration/transfer from my old computer to the imac, I now have two user accounts (111) + (222) when I start up the imac, three if you include the "guest user."

How do I go about transferring the 222 account to the 111 account? without losing my precious data...

If I delete one of the user accounts will I lose all information associated with that account?

Can I merge the user accounts into one?

I would be very greatful for any advice on this... :)

W.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no way to merge the accounts automatically. What you need to do is decide which one you want to keep then manually move the data from A to B then delete A in the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences.

Just login to A and drag any documents etc you want into the folder at /Users/Shared. Then logout of A and into B and you will be able to access the files you left in that Shared folder to move them into B. Once you are sure you have everything out of A, just delete the A account.

Yes, when you delete an account the data is deleted.

If there is specific data you need help moving, explain what it is and maybe I can help you get it moved.

3. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

One approach may be to reinstall/activate Word for your 2nd user account and then just delete your 1st user account (after copying any other files you may want or need from your 1st account).

Whether you bought Word as part of the subscription-based Office 365 for Mac or as part of Office 2011 for Mac, you should be able to re-install and/or activate it for the 2nd user account, which may involve deactivating it for your 1st user account.

That is, unless you have other, more complex reasons for wanting to merge the two accounts...?

4. WWT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks folks for your time, i am trying to figure out how to share folders and do it that way...

its a whole new platform for me and i am not a geek by any means, but thanks for your input. if i can't figure out how to share folders and copy them over, i may be back soon...

best, :)

W

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need to do anything or change any settings to use that shared folder I mentioned. Open Finder then click the Go menu then go to Folder then paste in /Users/Shared and enter and you will be in that folder.

Now hit command-n to open a new Finder window. Now just drag whatever you want to move over and drag it into the other Finder window where you have the Shared folder open.

Then when you login to the other account go to the same /Users/Shared folder using the same method and you will see all your files. Now just drag them wherever you want them in the new account.

That /Users/Shared folder is there by default on every Mac and the folder is visible to any login for just this purpose.

6. WWT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks WB... I will put some time aside this week and get to this task, very much appreciated, really, thanks...

W.

7. WWT thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi WB,

I'm still a bit at a loss...

Firstly - you suggest "Open Finder then click the Go menu then go to Folder then paste in /Users/Shared and enter and you will be in that folder."

I have opened finder, however, what is the "go menu" then go to what folder? paste in "/Users/Shared" to what? where?...

secondly - "Now hit command-n" what's command-n? and where am i doing this?

I appear to be doing a rather poor job at this... if you could talk me through this again that would be helpful...

i can do physics, reasonably well, medicine very well, iMacs and computers... terrible!!

Thanks in advance:D!

W.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... I'll help you out here, but you have to be there for me if I ever have a physics question. :D

The menu selections I am talking about are at the top of the screen. So open Finder then look at the very top edge of your screen and you will see a series of menu choices.

With the Finder open the top of the screen will look like this.

[​IMG]

Click the Go menu there and it will look like this. Click Go to Folder... in this menu.

[​IMG]

A window will pop up that looks like this and you can copy/paste the /Users/Shared in there then hit the return/enter key or click go there in the window. That will open Finder to the /Users/Shared folder.

[​IMG]

Now by command-n I mean hold down the command key (just to the left of the space bar) and the n key at the same time. The command-n combo will always open a new window of the running application... Finder in this case.

So now you should have one Finder window open to /Users/Shared and the other open where you can navigate to the folders you want to move over to shared so you can access them from the other account.

Sorry I threw so much jargon at you in that first reply. :)

9. WWT thread starter macrumors newbie

perfect, i'm getting somewhere... thanks for the very swift point by point précis... very good...

as for the physics... as long as its not computing physics, fluid dynamics, we can do!!

i'm going to open up the other account tomorrow, will let you know how it goes with the transfer...

Cheers,

W.

10. WWT thread starter macrumors newbie

Weaselboy, I bow to your kindness and generosity, i now have some semblance of normality in the new paradigm which is the iMAC!!

Lots to learn i'm sure...

Once again, thank you for your timely and precise advice.

WWT :D

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are quite welcome. :)