merging free space into a partition that logically lies before the partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mackintosh, Oct 8, 2011.

1. mackintosh macrumors newbie

Hi,

On my MBP 2011, I had a dual-boot setup with Snow Leopard (that originally shipped with my laptop) and Lion Developer Preview GM that I had installed later, using Disk Utility to appropriate modify the SL partition. Each partition occupied approximately half of the 750 GB hard disk.

I wanted to get rid of Snow Leopard (which was obviously the first partition in the logical sense), but I mistakenly assumed that I would be able to merge the ensuing free space after deleting its partition into the remaining Lion DP partition. However as it turned that apparently isn't possible with Disk Utility (it seems only possible to resize from the bottom of the partition) and so now I have a chunk of 325 GB free space on my HD which I'd like to get back.

What would be the best course of action? Just create a new blank partition out of the free space and leave it at that, or clone (if that's the right term) my Lion DP partition into the free space, then delete the second partition and resize the cloned one? Or something else entirely?

(PS I posted this question on the apple.stackexchange.com but haven't got any replies it; that particular member of the stackexchange family doesn't seem to be as active as some of the others. Hope this isn't against the rules or something)

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

While its technically possible, I don't think any disk utility (including OS X's) will allow to resize a partition using the free space that comes before it.

Your best bet is to do the clone thing.