Merging from iPad2 to iPad3

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GerritV, May 14, 2012.

1. GerritV macrumors 65816

Next week I'll be getting my new iPad(3).

Two questions:

- What is the best practice to transfer my apps & files from my present iPad2 to the new device? I have (of course) a cloud backup, I have iTunes... So I could do it via a sync?
    Or is it better to reinstall all my apps via a download from the Appstore?

- My iPad2 will go to my wife. I'd like her to have a clean start with the device. Do I simply erase what she doesn't need, or do I run a clean install and how?

All tips are very welcome - thanks in anticipation!

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

Restore from your backup of your iPad 2 onto your iPad 3. Then do a restore on your iPad 2 to give to your wife.

3. apple4kim macrumors member

apple4kim

You mean do a reset on the iPad 2, right?

4. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

With iOS 5, we no longer need to restore with iTunes. That's still an option, yes, but if you prefer, you can just do "erase all content and settings" from an iPad, which will take you back to the Welcome screen, from where you can set up your iPad without needing to connect with a computer.

6. GerritV thread starter macrumors 65816

Not a regular iTunes user at all, so pardon my question. If I understand correctly, I start by connecting my iPad3 to my Mac that has the iPad2 backup. Won't it start to sync right away? Next, can I replace the whole iPad3 by the iPad2 backup? How do I do this?

@ Night Spring: this sounds like a great tip. Does it equal a clean install of just the iOS and the default apps?

7. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

No matter how you decide to wipe the ip2 , iTunes or not. You will back up your ipad2's content and sync it into the ip3 after set up. Using iTunes. Just hit set up as new.
    You must have iTunes to fill your ip3 with ip2 content. You just have a choice of how to wipe the ip2 now. iTunes or it's own erase settings.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There is a setting somewhere in iTunes preferences that says something like "automatically sync devices when connected." Set this so it doesn't automatically sync.

You are getting a new iPad 3, right? So during the setup process, whether you do it through iTunes or from iCloud, you'll get an option to restore from your iPad 2 backup. Once you do that, it's like doing a brain transplant -- everything from iPad 2 will show up on the iPad 3. Well, if you have media that you didn't buy from the iTunes store, those need to be resynced from your computer. Make sure to let the restore process completely finish, though. The iPad becomes usable as soon as the OS restore is complete, but the apps take longer to download fully -- as much as several hours, if you have lots of apps.

Yes, exactly. It will take the device back to "factory settings" -- as if it were just bought new.

9. GerritV thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the great answers, guys!
    I think I'm ready to go - just gotta wait for my device now...