Merging icloud emails and phone numbers

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by brueck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. brueck, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

brueck macrumors regular

Anyone know when Apple is going to merge icloud emails and phone numbers?
    In the keynote they mentioned "Phone number and Apple ID merging." Does this mean this will be implemented in Mountain Lion or in iOS 6? If iOS 6, I guess Mountain Lion users will have to wait until the release of iOS 6 to get this feature?

2. newagemac macrumors 68020

It's in iOS6 now and Mountain Lion as well. Both iMessage and FaceTime now allow you to associate your phone number with an Apple ID. So now FaceTime and iMessages are the same no matter which device you use.

You can use your phone number on your phone and your iPad/Mac now recognizes it and you can set your phone number as caller ID on your iPad/Mac. So basically your phone number can now be the center of all your communication no matter which computer or iDevice is used.

3. DerMario macrumors member

DerMario

Are you sure about Mountain Lion? Because there is no setting for that and messages doesnt com through over phone number. On the ipad everything works, but not iMac

4. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I believe that iMessage & Facetime are associated with your Apple or Cloud account, depends on how you set yours up. Mine are all set up on my Apple ID. (iPhone, iPad, Mac) And they all work great!

5. GeekAhead macrumors member

GeekAhead

I got both iPad and iPhone running 6.0 beta 2 - but i am unable to set it up.

Who can help ?

6. zachattck514 macrumors newbie

GeekAhead - Turn off iMessage on both your iPhone and iPad. Then on your iPad reenable iMessage. Next, reenable iMessage on your iPhone. You should then get a notification on your iPad that says a phone number has been added to iMessage.

Hope that helps.

7. brueck thread starter macrumors regular

Are you 100% positive that you can receive text messages that were sent to your AT&T iPhone phone number on a MBPr running OS X Mountain Lion GM?
    If so, how do you make this work? I tried what Zacjattck said and it didn't work.

8. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

this worked perfectly for me on iOS6b2! Thanks!

9. DerMario macrumors member

DerMario

10. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Additional email addresses as "Caller ID"

In ios5 you're able to add a secondary email address.

iCloud/apple ID= email#1
    FaceTime/iMessage= email#2 (in FaceTime settings/iMessage settings)
    Add #3, etc. if you wish.
    Once you add the new one, just select it as your "caller ID".

It is useful so you're not communicating with the whole world with your actual apple ID that you use for any billing purposes.

Hopefully this functionality carries over to ML/ios6.
    Anyone know for sure?

11. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

I wish this would merge the threads in iMessage automatically when it realized.