Merging iMac and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rogzilla, May 22, 2012.

1. Rogzilla macrumors regular

I'm really uncertain if this is the right forum for this.

I've got a 2006 iMac and I beleive a 2009 MBP. My iMac is slowly but surely dying, with weird video issues going on and general slow down.

Currently, I'm considering getting a 1TB HDD for my MBP. What I'm curious about is if there is anyway to combine the information to the two computers easily or will I have to move everything file by file?

On a side note, I'm also considering getting more RAM for the MBP. I found an 8GB set of PNY at BB for just under $40 but I'm feeling gun shy as I don't know if that's a good brand and the deal seems a little too good to be true.

Thanks.

2. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

I haven't used PNY before, but they're a good brand from what I've heard, and honestly $40 for 8GB of DDR3 RAM is standard.

3. Rogzilla thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I'd have thought it would have been a lot more for some reason. *looks at how much Apple charges for a RAM upgrade with a new computer*

Yeah...for some reason. :p

Any thoughts of combining the two computers?

4. marcusj0015, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

I don't know of any way to combine data like that, there might be a command you could use in terminal, but Maybe not. I Might've found a command to do it, but what exactly do you mean by "Merge"?

Read up on Ditto it seems to be what you're looking for.

5. goRoostr macrumors member

Here's a piece of software that syncs the files between 2 Macs. I haven't personally used it, but it's got decent reviews. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23023/filesync

6. Rogzilla thread starter macrumors regular

A sync is more or less what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to find out if there is someway to take, for example, two iPhoto libraries and combine them into one, or two Document folders and combine them into one folder.

7. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Yeah, Ditto should work for you. :D