Merging iTunes libraries

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kuebby, Feb 18, 2011.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so long story but I had an iMac and then stopped using it for a while and in the meantime got a MacBook and new iPhone to sync to it. How to I merge the 2 iTunes libraries? Specifically the apps.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Depending on how many Apps you may just want to re-download them from the App Store to the newer MacBook. They will all be free plus updated builds.

Your other options would be to copy over to an external storage device (hard drive, thumb drive etc) and import on the newer MB.

You may want to consider deactivating the old iMac if your not going to use it with iTunes. Your limit is still 5 machines

3. tomllama macrumors regular

I really like PowerTunes. It's an app that allows easy switching between libraries and copy, merge or otherwise manage libraries.

I maintain one library where all CDs get ripped in lossless format and then another library where all are reduced to 256k so the library fits onto the iPhones or iPods. I also keep multiple copies on different computers/drives to ensure I have a backup in case of a drive failure, fire or other big problem.