merging music with video+audio

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMythos, Feb 12, 2011.

1. MacMythos macrumors member

I am able to select and open music files while in iMovie when I click the iTunes icon to the right. I have not been able to figure out how to import these music files to iMovie.

I would like to use my iTunes music as background music for video projects. I would like to preserve the sound of the video in some clips so that both music and video sound play together. Other clips, it may be preferable to eliminate the sound altogether and just have the music.

Anyone get me started in the right direction?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Which iMovie are you using? For iMovie6HD, select the track in the media browser and drag it to the timeline below the video clip.

For iMovie9/11, as above but drag it and drop it on top of the video clip in your Project for a separate audio track, or drop it below for it to act as bcakground music fro the project.

In iMovie6 you adjust volumes as you wish. In iMovie9/11, you need to click the button on the central dividing bar that looks like a feather to view the audio tracks waveforms, and then you can adjust volumes.

3. MacMythos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Dave. I believe i have the 6HD version. The iMac was purchased last Feb.

It was so easy that I do not understand how I didn't figure that out on my own. Just click on the music file in the music menu that opens to the right, drag music file to where you want the music to start playing in the project. Adjust volume of movie audio by clicking the adjustment (gear/down arrow) icon that corresponds to the film clip. Adjust music volume same way, by clicking it's adjustment icon. Pretty much the same process I have been using to chop up and move the film around. Very intuitive.

Thank you again. : ) Hope you have a great day!;)

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In that case it is going to be iMovie9(possibly 8) with the star shaped icon.

Definitely not iMovie6HD.