Merging PDF files Together

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Guza, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Guza macrumors member

Guza

I’m looking for a workaround to not buy Adobe Acrobat since this is the only time that I had needed it since using a computer for the last 20 years and I need to do just this 1 job with it.

I’m trying to use Preview viewer to merge pdf files together and I was successful at doing it just a minute ago yet can’t seem to replicate my steps again. I open 2 pdf files in 2 separate Preview viewers (one being an older version) then drag a page from one sidebar into the next sidebar to correlate my multiple pdf file.

But the Save and Save All option is grayed out and the Save option is only allowed in the drop down submenu under File. It would be nice if they weren’t :/ But I have seen a Save All option button when I try to close the Preview viewer and this document looks like it’s saved somewhere but never says to where and I can’t find the file name under the Search bar option.

Does anyone here know a work around on how I can do this please? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you very much.

2. chabig macrumors 603

I don't understand what you mean when you say "2 separate Preview viewers (one being an older version)". Just open both files in Preview, one window for each document. Then set both sidebars to display thumbnails, then drag the pages from document to document in the order you desire. The original document will be altered when you do this.

3. Guza thread starter macrumors member

Guza

well you can't do that actually, open 2 separate Preview viewers if they aren't 2 different versions of them unless I don't know about it? If you click on pdf files they default to opening under the same Preview viewer so there isn't 2 viewers or sidebars only 1 which is why I opened the 2 pdf files in each their own separate Preview viewers and did the drag-and-drop from sidebar to sidebar to get the thumbnails in the order that I wanted, but then I get to the saving problem, it won't let me Save All into 1 document. Any workaround for that you think?

4. chabig, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

chabig macrumors 603

When you say “viewers” do you mean “windows”? If you open each document in a separate window it’s easier to drag and drop between them. If the documents are in different tabs of the same window, drag one tab out of the tab bar to get a separate window.

Let’s say you have “Document 1” and “Document 2”. If you put pages from document 2 into document 1, then document 1 becomes the merged document (because it has the added pages). That’s the one you want to keep, right?

You might like Apple’s instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202945