Merging Projects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by digipeter, Feb 3, 2012.

1. digipeter macrumors member

In iMovie as well as in FCPX I find it impossible to merge projects. Of what I learn from Jeff Carlson's otherwise most helpful "The iMovie'11 Project Book", only 'Events' can be merged. Neither the help-functions of both iMovie/FCPX have any reference to this.
    My need is to make one long home movie out of different 'projects', organized by year. It seems awkward and very strange one could not change one's mind and decide afterwards to unite different 'temporary' projects into a final one.
    I hope you won't have to tell me I need to work them all over again...

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Open the Project, Select All, then copy and paste into the second project?

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

That question mark on the end of the sentence should be a period. Dave described how it's done.

4. digipeter thread starter macrumors member

First try

Thanks for the useful, and hoped for, tip. From its first use (in iMovie) it worked, except for the audio track of the second project that was not imported in the first. I observed that the "selecting all" instruction limited itself to the sole clips of images, and that the added soundtrack beneath the video thumbnails itself (green audio bar) was not included.
    As there are no proper image sounds in this home movie - the origin of my images is a digitized 'silent movie' - selecting/copying/pasting/importing this soundtrack bar is crucial.
    So I'm 'crossing fingers' now to hear of a solution resolving this problem.

Thanks again anyway for your tip, in my opinion and from this experience an important omission in the help manuals of both iMovie/FCPX or the book I mentioned. Or did I overlook something?

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Select All (CMD+A) is an OS function. Maybe that's why it ain't mentioned in your book.
    Dunno what's wrong with it in iMovie, but the technique works fine in FCP X.