Merging two .avi (or .mpeg) files in to one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BengalDuck, Jan 7, 2008.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

I've searched google and these forums and I simply cannot find a suitable answer.

I downloaded a very large file a couple of days ago, which in total is about 1.4 GB. The file is split in to two roughly 700 MB files.

I use VLC to watch all my videos and whatnot, but I read that Quicktime Pro can be used to merge my two files. Unfortunately, quicktime simply locks up whenever I try and open one of the files. I've tried iMovie (where I cannot import the .avi's) and a few other small programs that I read as suggestions on either this forum or another.

None of these programs worked, and the two I had the most faith in - QT and iMovie - both failed to open the movie.

I would think that the files are corrupted, yet VLC plays them fine.

In an effort to make this easier for me, I converted the .avi's using ffmpeg to mpeg files. Yet I haven't had any further luck in merging the files.

I've tried redownloading QT (just restarted after downloading it, actually) yet there is no difference. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

EDIT---

I cannot edit the title, so I'm not going to edit the post... but instead of .mpeg's I converted the .avi's to .mp4's.

2. jeremyrader macrumors member

VisualHub should merge those files just fine.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Simple Video Splicer (free) might work with them, or otherwise VisualHub (costs)

QT Pro should also do it if you have it.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Do you have Perian installed on your system? That plus Quicktime Pro is what I use to recombine my files.

Bear in mind however that the resultant file is a .MOV.