Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omersaar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
I have two large iTunes folders that have thousands of folders within them and thousands of .mp3 files within those folders.

I need to merge them without duplicating or replacing files.

Suggestions?

Prelude/backstory:

I just got back one HD (HD1) from a recovery place that recovered close to 45,000 mp3s in addition to the thousands of mp3s that were already there.

My second HD (HD2) has the same mp3 files that did not need to be recovered, but also has additional mp3s that I added in the time HD1 was away at recovery.

I want to end up with one iTunes folder that has all the files in it, without duplicating them and without losing any.

Thanks in advance!

*I'm running OSX Lion on a brand new MacBook Pro

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Are you willing to work in the Terminal? If so, you can do it there.

Code:
cp -Rvn path/to/original path/to/destination

cp is the copy command. The R flag tells it to traverse directories (look inside folders), the v flag shows you what it's doing so you can see the progress, the n flag tells it not to overwrite files that already exist. Technically, you could leave out the v, but I like seeing that as it works.

This will temporarily duplicate files, but if you then delete the original folder, you'll have one folder with everything. You could use the mv command instead, which wouldn't duplicate, but I try to work more safely when possible. I'm also not sure if it uses the same flags, as I haven't tried it.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.