Merging Two iTunes folders, help needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gvegastiger, Mar 20, 2009.

1. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Ok, here's my deal. I have one official iTunes library with music files on my Mac and then I have a folder on my backup drive with iTunes music files. These two directories are mostly the same but they each have a few differences. I want to backup my iTunes music onto that backup drive but I need to make sure that I get all the music from my Mac and the backup drive. The folders are slightly different and I don't want to lose any music. Whats the best way to do this? Should I just run an rsync command to merge the two folders together into a third folder and then use that as my backup?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you know how to run rsync then yes, that's the easiest option, if you have the drive space to handle it.

3. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

This is the command I'd use right?

rsync -r /users/gvegastiger/iTunesbackup /users/gvegastiger/Music/iTunes Music/

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Almost.
    Code:
     rsync -r /Users/gvegastiger/iTunesbackup /Users/gvegastiger/Music/iTunes\ Music/
    That backslash is required to escape the space in the path name, so it doesn't confuse Terminal. Also, "Users" needs to be capitalized - for case-insensitive file systems it won't matter, but it's always good to be ready for the future ;)

5. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

6. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I got a problem. I ran the rsync command below that you suggested and instead of merging the iTunesbackup into the iTunes Music folder, it created a new folder called iTunes Music put it in the Music directory and then copied iTunesbackup into that folder. What did I do wrong?

rsync -r /Users/gvegastiger/iTunesbackup /Users/gvegastiger/Music/iTunes\ Music

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Oh... I know what happened. Easy mistake to make, you forgot about the iTunes folder between Music and iTunes Music. Therefore, the command needs to look like this: rsync -r /Users/gvegastiger/iTunesbackup /Users/gvegastiger/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music