Merging Two Partitions into One

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pops1368, Jun 17, 2015.

1. pops1368, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

pops1368 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

As the title suggests I am looking at merging two partitions on my secondary internal hard drive, which contains all my documents, pictures, videos etc on one partition and a backup on the second partition, which is no longer required. Is there a way, if at all possible to merge the two partitions together, thereby removing/deleting the second partition of the redundant backup and giving me just the one partition? I have removed all the necessary data of the first partition onto an external hard drive.

Incidentally the second hard drive containing both partitions, is also my Home Directory.

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could have just left the data on partition one since Disk Util allows non-destructive resizing.

Open Disk Utility and go to the partition tab and select the second (lower) partition then click the minus at the lower left to remove that partition. Then grab the ///grabber at the lower right of the remaining partition and drag it down to fill all the empty space and click apply. That should do it.

Give this a read for some instructions with screenshots.

3. pops1368 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers Weaselboy for that, great minds think alike. I ended up messing about, not really knowing what I'm doing, but more or less doing what you suggested.

Thanks once again.