Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I've Googled this problem and only gotten results from 2009 or earlier, which doesn't help me.

I'd like to join two separate avi files of the same movie into one so that they play continuously. I have Quicktime 7 and the newest version installed but neither of them will play the files. Is there any easy program that doesn't require re-encoding that will simply join them?

Thanks.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've Googled this problem and only gotten results from 2009 or earlier, which doesn't help me.

I'd like to join two separate avi files of the same movie into one so that they play continuously. I have Quicktime 7 and the newest version installed but neither of them will play the files. Is there any easy program that doesn't require re-encoding that will simply join them?

Thanks.

Just open terminal and use the concatenate command. The following code is an example that you can use substituting your file names.

Code:
cat file1 file2 > file3

No QuickTime needed.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I did as it described but it said this, "-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('"

After installing the Divx plugin Quicktime 7 opened the video portion of the file but the audio won't play so it encodes it sans audio. I was thinking it should be really simple to merge two files but it's proving difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.