Merom can't boot 64-bit?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gatorman, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Gatorman macrumors regular

So, I tried booting into 64-bit SL after upgrading last night, and found out that my MBP 2,2 isn't compatable. Why? I thought it was a 64-bit processor? Why is it only 32-bit EFI? I realize it's not that important to boot into it at this point, but I'd like to know that it's capable....as Apple made a big deal about this chip when it came out and when I bought it!

2. santos79 macrumors regular

You'll need an MBP version 4,1 or higher at the moment:

"Perhaps surprisingly, not all Macs with 64-bit processors are even able to boot into the 64-bit kernel. Though this may change in subsequent point releases of Snow Leopard, the table below lists all the Macs that are either capable of or default to booting K64[...]"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/5

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The question is why do you want to ?

1) Your 64 bit applications are all running in 64 bit mode regardless of whether your booting the 32 bit kernel.

2) All your drivers are working (hopefully) as 32bit driver support is FAR more advance than 64bit drivers.

3) All of your applications are capable of accessing more than 4GB of ram - even if your MBP isn't capable of carrying more than that.

So what specific benefits do you think you are missing out on - because you can't boot the 64 bit OSX kernel ?

If its a speed issue, then speed differences have so far proven negligible in most benchmark testing regardless of which kernel, and unless your accessing 32GB of RAM something your never going to do on your laptop, you are missing nothing at all from running SL as you currently are.