Merom, Core 2 Duo, what does it mean?

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
We are all waiting. We know this. Something is lurking in the shadows, an update! A new processor!

Can we get a summary of what the Merom is going to bring to the MBP?
What advantages makes waiting worth it?

Beyond all speculation of when its coming aside, what are we waiting for?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Faster..
Duh

Unlike other manufacturers which has a comprehensive line, Apple has a pathetic 2 model line. Since you don't have the option to buy a slower model to save money it is in your best interests as a customer to hold out until an update.
 

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
Faster Duh... really?

There are quite a few people here that can't wait for the Merom to be released because they need their computers NOW. I for one am going back to art school on friday. I know I am already behind, so I cannot afford to wait longer.

If all the C2D's are going to bring is a little speed hike then I don't feel like it is worth the wait. But if there is something more that is going to come of the Meroms (64 bit processing, which isn't even usefull yet), then maybe I can sit here and grit my teeth for awhile longer.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, that's the other something (64 bit processing). If you want it, given that there's no surety as to how soon or in what form you'll be able to take advantage of it, then wait. If you have some aspiration of running Vista in 64 bit or XP64, or developing for Leopard in 64 bit, then wait for it.

Otherwise, 15-20% faster at a given clock speed. That and the much smaller possibility that the MBP will get some other kind of upgrade when it gets Merom.

Why are you so angry. That's what people are waiting for. That's it. You clearly have enough information to make your decision. Or at least as much as you're going to get.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
64 bit, longer battery life... blah

Seriously, if the MBP is available as an actual product line where people can buy Yonah models at a significant discount (no, I am not talking about digging in the refurb store), people wouldn't even give an arse about waiting for Merom.

The MBP as of now is currently overpriced, only real different it has over a MB is a faster (although outdated) X1600Pro graphics chip. Of course people are going to wait to see what's going to happen.

Btw, you can get a 2.0Ghz refurbished Macbook for $1099 at the apple store now. See the big price difference?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
mkrishnan said:
Why are you so angry. That's what people are waiting for. That's it. You clearly have enough information to make your decision. Or at least as much as you're going to get.
He is just POed because he knows what is coming, and he can't afford to wait, and he knows he is getting fleeced.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
I don't know, all this socket 478, 479, 775 has got me confused. :confused:

But most likely, minimal board updates and/or firware updates need to drop a Merom in portables -- versus major surgery to get the iMac to accept Conroe.
 

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
mkrishnan said:
Why are you so angry. That's what people are waiting for. That's it. You clearly have enough information to make your decision. Or at least as much as you're going to get.
I am not at all angry. I just would like to be fully informed.

uhh that one guy said:
He is just POed because he knows what is coming, and he can't afford to wait, and he knows he is getting fleeced.
That is half true. Except the PO'ed part. I know if I get a MBP now that I will be happy with it for quite awhile. I just can't wait around much longer so I have to make a decision soon.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tabaczka said:
I am not at all angry. I just would like to be fully informed.
Okay, if you say so. ;)

But honestly, that is basically the whole story. These are the things that are likely to eventually happen to the MBP:

1) It will get Merom
2) It will possibly separately get Santa Rosa
3) It will probably eventually get 802.11n or some other future networking standard
4) It will get a faster video card
5) It will get Leopard
6) It will get a redesign / overhaul including God knows what but undoubtedly inspiring lust.

(1) will probably happen soon. (2), (3), and (5) are not ready at this point and they're not happening anytime très soon. No one knows for sure when (4) or (6) will happen....

And as for the it will never happen, sadly, Generik will never get what he wants. :eek: :eek:

If you ask me, the MB is in greater uncertainty, because there's the holdout that it will get the next Intel integrated graphics chipset, which would probably be a real nicety.....
 

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
Hahha. I know the right thing to do to get the most out of my money would be to wait. But I think I am going to go with less complex route.

Buy now, hope that if updates do come, they come within 14 days. If not. Wait a year or so and hope that my mbp breaks beyond repair, resulting in me getting whatever is current at the time (with applecare of course).:cool:

Hahah. I am a dreamer what can I say...
 

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
generik said:
Putting the MBP into a microwave should work.. that thing does wonders for electronics :rolleyes:
Haha.. humm.. its very possible that my little brother might get ahold of my MBP and do that very thing?

I doubt that is covered in the applecare warrenty? Or wouldn't they be able to tell?
 

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
generik said:
Putting the MBP into a microwave should work.. that thing does wonders for electronics :rolleyes:
Haha.. humm.. its very possible that my little brother might get ahold of my MBP and do that very thing?

I doubt that is covered in the applecare warrenty? Or wouldn't they be able to tell?
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
tabaczka said:
Haha.. humm.. its very possible that my little brother might get ahold of my MBP and do that very thing?

I doubt that is covered in the applecare warrenty? Or wouldn't they be able to tell?
The melted pocket pizza decaying on the keyboard would probably give it away.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Sun Baked said:
The melted pocket pizza decaying on the keyboard would probably give it away.
Well you can always put it in a ziplok bag before putting it in :)

Doubt they can tell, the electromagnetic energy would pass through the casing without making a mark, although I think it is possible your display would be completely melted.

Hey, say it almost started a fire and you pulled the plug! :eek:
 

tabaczka

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
59
0
Haha its not a bad idea.. maybe only for a second or two. I think the display wouldn't be affected that quickly but possibly that would be enough to destroy everything...