Merom Started Shipping. New MBP at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by meanmusic, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. meanmusic macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Intel stated Merom has started shipping to revenue. Retail product availability expected for the end of the month. So can we expect a new MBP at WWDC?Anyone else waiting for Merom before buying a MBP?
  2. twoodcc macrumors P6


    Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i'm hoping to see it in the Macbooks as well......i can only hope
  3. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

    Feb 20, 2005
    :) I agree
  4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Really?! Link?

    If so then I will now change my prediction on Merom MBPs at WWDC to Definite!
  5. neocell macrumors 65816


    May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Most definitely. I need (well not really, but would really like) a new laptop for school (September). I'll stick to my 12" PB until a Merom comes.
  6. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2006
    Suburb of Chicago
    I want to see the Conroe in the new MacBook Pros. :D

    I'm sure some computer company will dare to put one in a laptop. In fact, I have a laptop with a desktop processor. If you think your little MBPs run hot, hold onto my laptop.
  7. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    haha I bet someone will put a XEON in one. Really. The Woodcrest LV at 2.3GHz has a TDP of 40w: 5w more than merom, versus 65 for Conroe/Woodcrest
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    Conroe's thermal output will go fine in an iMac- it takes more power than previous processors that went in there, but when you consider that a 2.16 GHz Conroe is $70 cheaper than a 2 GHz Merom or the current 1.86 GHz Yonah in the iMac, Apple will actually be saving money if they upgrade the power supply and put Conroe in there.

    I'm predicting Merom in MBP and Conroe in iMac, along with Woodcrest in PowerMacs. MacBooks and Mac Mini's will remain Yonah, and either get a minor speed bump or price drops once Yonah's price drops (restoring the $999 MacBook and $499 Mac Mini).
  9. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    Concurring with GFLPraxis

    I agree (with a certain amount of hope).
    The iMac should definitely get Conroe (should, not neccessarily will). I am sure I am not alone when I say if they need to make the iMac case bigger to house a decent Conroe (and dare I say X1800), then so be it. The benefits of lower cost and higher speeds (Higher bus speed) would easily be worth an extra quater or half inch of thickness.

    Here's hoping for Macbook price drops too. I feel confident (not that I am qualified to feel anything but nonchalance on the matter, considering I have no proof in this particularly delightful pudding) that the Macbook will stay Core Duo, not C2D.

    Further Lobbying for iMac Ultra. (Tell me when it starts to get annoying)
    23" LCD, >2.4 C2D, X1800 512Mb.
  10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    You'll get my vote here :) iMac should get conroe and its successors. And IMHO it will, if not right now, then when Santa Rosa socket and chipset comes with the 800mt/s FSB Meroms and they'd need a new LB for it anyways.

    If MB stays Yonah, it will get a nice fat price drop to stay competitive.

    and that sounds like a nice imac ultra idea :)
  11. KingYaba macrumors 68040


    Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    I really hope MacBook Pros will get an update or something before the end of August. I will be buying something before school starts, and I hope it will be something brand spanking new.
  12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
  13. meanmusic thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
  14. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Time to clear off my college fees so my credit card will be ready next month..

    *weapons free*
  15. emoeric macrumors member

    Jul 24, 2006
    why is meromm so hot?

    So heres a pop quiz for you? why is merom so hot? what is it about it that makes me want to wait for the possible WWDC announcement? I mean I have been wanting a mac for years, and now my senior year I am going to be getting one.

    But why am I waiting? With a careful side by side comparison of the chips, it appears that the 2.0ghz is still the same, with the exception of a L2 cache of 4mb. Which leads me to my question:

    what is L2 cache? I have been building PC's and fixing PC's for 7 years, and have never regarded this information as important. Now Im interested to know considering it is the ONLY noticeable difference in Merom chips to the current MBP chips. so what is L2 cache and why is it important to have a beefier cache?

    Additionally, are we waiting for possible new enclosures (yep I am)? are we hoping they finally beef up the superdrive on the 2.0ghz model? I mean what are your guys hopes on the possible new MBP (realistic and unrealistic are welcome)?

    Let me know!
  16. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

    Nov 13, 2003
    A L2 cache is kind of like RAM except right on the CPU. The bigger your L2 cache the better performance you will get out of the CPU. For example my company just bought some server we went with the 3.2 ghz machines with the 4 mb cache vs same priced 3.4 ghz with 2mb cache. The cache can make a decent difference on performance.
    Here is more info on it:
  17. M-Life macrumors regular


    Jul 15, 2006
    Merom in MBP

    Is there any chance the Mini will get Merom anytime soon? Or will it probably stay with Yonah and get a price drop or something?
  18. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    i'm right with ya brotha.
  19. AirFoil macrumors newbie

    Jan 22, 2005
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    From :

    "It is similar to the current 32-bit Core Duo Yonah. However, Merom supports 64-bit memory addressing. Intel claims that it will have 20% more performance at the same clock speed when compared to the current Yonah processor."

    That's why I'm waiting.
  20. extraextra macrumors 68000


    Jun 29, 2006
    Yep. That and a few of the kinks to be worked out. The whining seems to have been acknowledged by Apple, so things aren't looking too bad.
  21. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 29, 2006
    Laguna Niguel, CA

    i would actually switch out my g5 for something like that. talk about a space saver. i could keep my 23" ACD, sell my 24" dell 2405 with my g5 and be content.
    i would probably switch to a macbook as well. not that i dislike either of my computers ( quite the contrary ) but, apple is clearly supporting this whole intel deal, so i probably should too. i don't wan't to become one of those "latest and greatest" buyers, but being a photog, i need to keep on edge to be competitive in my market :)

Share This Page