Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Just wondering; Who comes up with the "code names" or whatever they are, for the latest, still-in-development CPUs?

C

CompUser

I ask myself the same question. Probably marketing people. Merom reminds me of Miriam.

---
On a complete side note I wish they would name the quad processor Mac Pros "Mac Pro Quadra"

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I believe it's 1000 carefully selected monkeys, sitting at 1000 different typewriters for 2 years straight. More money is spent on prototype name research each year than is spent on CPU whine elimination.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yonah and Merom are Hebrew in origin. Given Intel's extensive development presence in Israel, I assume it's either higher-ups there who are giving them the codenames or even higher-level folks at Intel giving the nod to the Israeli contributions with the names.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
WildCowboy said:
The DMV's monkeys aren't carefully selected...

I wasn't aware that anyone worked at the dmv. I always thought people just stood in those lines and never went anywhere...

Yonah and Merom are ok. I want to meet the genious who came up with Longhorn.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Felldownthewell said:
I want to meet the genious who came up with Longhorn.

Microsoft's recent OS code names come from the British Columbia ski areas...XP was code-named Whistler, while its successor was named Blackcomb. Blackcomb was pushed back and an interim OS release was created. It was named Longhorn after a saloon at the base of Whistler Mountain.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Core 2 was designed by the team in Haifa, Israel that previously designed the Pentium M product line. Could be they named it after a lake in Israel (Merom Lacus) but that's just a guess.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
That's a nice bit of info about merom. Does anyone know where the inspiration for Rogers City, Westchester and so on came from?

Also, why do they have such interesting code names but such crap real names? Core 2 Duo = yak. It's even worse than MacBook Pro.

"MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo" is horrendous!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
AlBDamned said:
Does anyone know where the inspiration for Rogers City, Westchester and so on came from?

We can only hope from Steve Rogers, the one and only Captain America

mmm Winter Soldier fracking rocked

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
I believe it's 1000 carefully selected monkeys, sitting at 1000 different typewriters for 2 years straight. More money is spent on prototype name research each year than is spent on CPU whine elimination.

This is my belief as well mad jew. ;) :D :D

CompUser said:
On a complete side note I wish they would name the quad processor Mac Pros "Mac Pro Quadra"

Nice! :) Mac Pro Quadra has a certain nostalgic ring to it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.