merp mena merp mena merp merrrrrrrppp

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benfilan, Dec 23, 2007.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

has anyone noticed how intrusive the interference is from the iphone when you're using a landline phone in close proximity? its crazy! i have to hide my iPhone in a drawer or far, far away. everyone in the office shouts at me when they're trying to use thier phones :(:rolleyes:

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a stereo hooked up to my mac and every 15 minutes I get the 'merps' when iPhone is checking for mail etc. I have to put phone on shelf away from mac. Its a pain in the ass when charging though because the cable isn't long enough to prevent the 'merps'.

3. memesmith macrumors regular

its no worse in my experience than any mobile phone.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Have you ever used a CDMA phone (Verizon, for example?)

That noise is VERY common with GSM. (the technology iPhone uses)

I hate GSM - and contemplate going back to Verizon - just because I need a phone that works first - a media device second. (and the iPhone has that reversed, IMO)

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Is it just me or does having a case of the "merps" sound like some horrible STD?
    :eek:

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

True I forgot to add that bit. I find vodafone gets the loudest merps. Tmobile is not too bad at all and iPhone (o2) is in between.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It kinda is - as one would be embarrassed to have an STD and keep that fact on the DL - with my RF Engineer friends - I try to keep my GSM phone on the DL.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

merps: multiple electronic recurring phone sound

9. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

its definitely worse than a normal phone. Especially when I'm in a poor signal edge area.

10. jwkicks macrumors newbie

11. SpankWare macrumors regular

Before I got an iPhone I only heard the sound when I was on the phone with a colleage who's Blackberry was too close to their phone. Occasionally I hear mine chirping up the speaker on my Cisco IP Phone or the baby monitor at home.