Merry Christmas Red Exclamation Point

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bkfraiders7, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

Opened my Apple Watch Series 1 all excited and set it up. Saw that it was on 3.0 and knew the benefits of 3.1 so I set it on the charger, made sure the battery was above 50%, kept my iPhone 7 Plus underneath it, and went to eat breakfast with the family. Came back to a red exclamation point :(

I'm going to try and exchange it at Target and hopefully they let me. If not Apple is sending a box which will be here Tuesday. I know Apple is better about refurbished items, but I'm pretty pissed a brand new Apple Watch is getting replaced with one.

2. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

3. BaddAdvice macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Actually, that was for 3.1.1, not 3.1. Sorry to hear about your trouble with your new watch - not cool. I assume trying a hard reset didn't do any good?

4. Bkfraiders7 thread starter macrumors member

3.1.1 was bricking series 2. 3.1 wasn't supposed to be bricking Series 1. So no, it wasn't in threads weeks ago.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2016 ---
    Unfortunately not :/ Going to Target in the morning to see what they said. I love my Apple products so this is my first bad experience. Oh well, personally gifts aren't the reason for the day anyway. So this won't get me down at all. Merry Christmas!

5. verdejt macrumors member

That update did brick a few Series 1's not the 0's.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Perhaps something interrupted the update? Something obviously went wrong during the software update. Perhaps your Wi-Fi cut out or something contributed to the technical error.

7. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

Just curious, software is software. What makes you think the different hardware makes a any difference?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Because the update/install 'bricking' bug of 3.1.1 only effected Series 2 hardware. Series 0 (original) and Series 1 were't effected by the bug.

An example of could be that the install program ran a GPS test that got stuck in a for next loop (endless) on some Seres 2's. This code would have been ignored on the Series 0 (original) and Series 1.