Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Question for those of you who know more about this than I do. I've been happily using an AirPort Time Capsule router (with two more units downstairs to extend the network) for a long time. The time capsule stopped working Wednesday night & I work from home, so I needed a replacement quickly. I bought an eero 6+ (2 unit) system to replace it. I would have purchased 3 units, but the 2 pack could be delivered by 8 am.

The new system seems to work great with most of my devices including thankfully, my work HP laptop. It also works well with my iPad Pro 11& iPhone 13 mini & Apple TVs. They are all getting the full 300 Mbps down/ 10 up that I pay for.

The only devices that are having issues are my 2 2017 12" MacBooks. They are getting around 200 Mbps down & 6-8 up. I'm not sure if that is just a limitation of the wifi chip that is used in the MacBooks, or if anyone has any suggestions for tweaking either the router or the MacBook to get better speeds? The MacBooks are sitting about 4' from the router with a clear line of sight & indeed are right next to work work laptop that gets perfect speeds. They also got the full 300+ with the Airport.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Some random thoughts...

Wondering if the MacBooks are connecting at 2.4khz instead of 5khz.
(hmmm... thinking that with "mesh", you can't control this, I could be wrong)

Another thing to try...

Boot Macbook
Go to the network preference/settings
DELETE the existing wifi connection (click the "-" sign)
Now, SHUT DOWN -- all the way off
Reboot to finder
GO BACK to the network pane.
Create a NEW wifi connection for that MacBook.

Any change?

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
The new system seems to work great with most of my devices including thankfully, my work HP laptop. It also works well with my iPad Pro 11& iPhone 13 mini & Apple TVs. They are all getting the full 300 Mbps down/ 10 up that I pay for.

The iPad Pro 11& iPhone 13 mini & Apple TVs are getting 300 mpbs over wifi? that’s extraordinary.
The only devices that are having issues are my 2 2017 12" MacBooks. They are getting around 200 Mbps down & 6-8 up.
If you plug your Macbooks into the ethernet connection is it just as slow? That would indicate there is something in the Macbooks that is stalling out your wifi - you could try turning off Bluetooth and see if it speeds up.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Some random thoughts...

Wondering if the MacBooks are connecting at 2.4khz instead of 5khz.
(hmmm... thinking that with "mesh", you can't control this, I could be wrong)

Another thing to try...

Boot Macbook
Go to the network preference/settings
DELETE the existing wifi connection (click the "-" sign)
Now, SHUT DOWN -- all the way off
Reboot to finder
GO BACK to the network pane.
Create a NEW wifi connection for that MacBook.

Any change?
Good thought. I did as you suggested & removed the network, restarted & readied it, but it's still at the same lower speeds. I did look at the Eero app & it does tell me that they are both connecting at 5 GHZ.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
If you plug your Macbooks into the ethernet connection is it just as slow? That would indicate there is something in the Macbooks that is stalling out your wifi - you could try turning off Bluetooth and see if it speeds up.

Good point. I'll find my ethernet adapter & give it a go.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Four years ago, I was having slowdown issues (will go into this later) with my 6th gen AirPort Extreme sometimes. Normally I would troubleshoot issues like this, but with the AirPort Extreme being a little old and after seeing a bunch of articles and videos on mesh systems, I decided to get a highly rated, but expensive tri-band mesh system from Linksys, it came with 3 nodes.

There were a few things I was looking forward to with the mesh system, but mainly:
Auto-switching to the faster bands
Expanding the distance of wifi
The seamless roaming that they all advertised.

Where I parked my car in my old house, the AirPort Extreme wouldn't reach that far, and when I got in my cars every morning for work, I would have to deal with slow cell service, so the idea of moving a mesh system node close to that side of my house, along with the seamless roaming, really interest me.

Getting the system set up was really easy, but I was surprised with the lack of available settings. The AirPort had a lot more, but the Linksys hardly had any.

After setting it up, I was quickly starting to realize that mesh systems were not as great as I was hoping for. The speeds were the same, and sometimes worse with the brand new mesh system. I first thought, well, as long as they are good enough, the expanded range and roaming would make up for it..... But, it didn't work out that way.

Roaming just didn't work. I would be sitting in my car connected to the network, but it would be connected to the furthest node, which was in my master bedroom. It was worse than the slow speeds of cellular, mostly just nothing. But, it wouldn't automatically connect to any of the two closer nodes.

Then came the real problem, slowdown issues. They were suspiciously similar to the AirPort Extreme, but seemed even worse on the mesh system. I was able to figure out that the 5Ghz band was solid. It was fast and had decent signal strength. But, the 2.4Ghz band was sometimes slowing down, and sometimes to a crawl.

Even with this happening I wondered why it wasn't auto-switching to the faster 5Ghz band. I made sure it wasn't a distance issue, testing devices from different distances getting closer every time, but it would still stay on the much slower 2.4Ghz band.

I thought that maybe I got a bad node, so I called customer support. They very were helpful, helping me test every node, troubleshooting, as well as showing that there were advanced setting options, but I had to do a factory reset and set up the nodes again to use the advanced settings (lame). I was on the phone with them for literal hours.

I was disappointed with their solution to the roaming issue. They said when I am in my car and find that the iPhone is still connected to the furthest node to turn off the wifi on the iPhone and turn it back on. It worked, but I was pretty disappointed as this was not what I thought of when I kept hearing about seamless roaming.

The main issue with the slowdowns, they help me troubleshoot, and determined that the 2.4Ghz band was saturated, and every time a device connected to it I would experience the occasional slowdowns. This was also why the AirPort Extreme was having issues as well.

Their solution was split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band, name they two different things and to keep most devices on the 5Ghz band and the few devices that were not compatible, use the 2.4Ghz band.

It worked, but why spend $400 on a new mesh system that I had to split the bands to work, and didn't really have seamless roaming, when my AirPort Extreme worked better in every way with the exception of the range.

This was all at the beginning of the pandemic (bought the mesh system a few weeks before the lockdowns), and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to return the mesh system, but Best Buy started to allow returns, and I returned it for a full refund.

I ended up splitting the bands on my AirPort Extreme, and the slowdown issues went away. The speeds were great, and I bought a second 6th gen AirPort Extreme on eBay, and wired it close to the side of the house that I parked on any it worked a lot better in every way than the super expensive mesh system.

I have since bought a different home, much bigger, and now have a total of seven 6th gen AirPort Extremes, creating a pseudo-mesh network, and it works great.

The iPad Pro 11& iPhone 13 mini & Apple TVs are getting 300 mpbs over wifi? that’s extraordinary.
All my ATVs with tvOS, even my now super old 2015 Apple TV 4 (HD) can get over 300Mbps on the AirPort Extreme wifi.

Actually, this was one of the things I tested when comparing the expensive mesh system to the old AirPort Extreme, and two floors away, the ATV4 consistently was faster with the AirPort Extreme than the Linksys Tri-band Mesh System with one of the Linksys nodes in the same room as the ATV4.

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Four years ago, I was having slowdown issues (will go into this later) with my 6th gen AirPort Extreme sometimes. Normally I would troubleshoot issues like this, but with the AirPort Extreme being a little old and after seeing a bunch of articles and videos on mesh systems, I decided to get a highly rated, but expensive tri-band mesh system from Linksys, it came with 3 nodes.

There were a few things I was looking forward to with the mesh system, but mainly:
Auto-switching to the faster bands
Expanding the distance of wifi
The seamless roaming that they all advertised.

Where I parked my car in my old house, the AirPort Extreme wouldn't reach that far, and when I got in my cars every morning for work, I would have to deal with slow cell service, so the idea of moving a mesh system node close to that side of my house, along with the seamless roaming, really interest me.

Getting the system set up was really easy, but I was surprised with the lack of available settings. The AirPort had a lot more, but the Linksys hardly had any.

After setting it up, I was quickly starting to realize that mesh systems were not as great as I was hoping for. The speeds were the same, and sometimes worse with the brand new mesh system. I first thought, well, as long as they are good enough, the expanded range and roaming would make up for it..... But, it didn't work out that way.

Roaming just didn't work. I would be sitting in my car connected to the network, but it would be connected to the furthest node, which was in my master bedroom. It was worse than the slow speeds of cellular, mostly just nothing. But, it wouldn't automatically connect to any of the two closer nodes.

Then came the real problem, slowdown issues. They were suspiciously similar to the AirPort Extreme, but seemed even worse on the mesh system. I was able to figure out that the 5Ghz band was solid. It was fast and had decent signal strength. But, the 2.4Ghz band was sometimes slowing down, and sometimes to a crawl.

Even with this happening I wondered why it wasn't auto-switching to the faster 5Ghz band. I made sure it wasn't a distance issue, testing devices from different distances getting closer every time, but it would still stay on the much slower 2.4Ghz band.

I thought that maybe I got a bad node, so I called customer support. They very were helpful, helping me test every node, troubleshooting, as well as showing that there were advanced setting options, but I had to do a factory reset and set up the nodes again to use the advanced settings (lame). I was on the phone with them for literal hours.

I was disappointed with their solution to the roaming issue. They said when I am in my car and find that the iPhone is still connected to the furthest node to turn off the wifi on the iPhone and turn it back on. It worked, but I was pretty disappointed as this was not what I thought of when I kept hearing about seamless roaming.

The main issue with the slowdowns, they help me troubleshoot, and determined that the 2.4Ghz band was saturated, and every time a device connected to it I would experience the occasional slowdowns. This was also why the AirPort Extreme was having issues as well.

Their solution was split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band, name they two different things and to keep most devices on the 5Ghz band and the few devices that were not compatible, use the 2.4Ghz band.

It worked, but why spend $400 on a new mesh system that I had to split the bands to work, and didn't really have seamless roaming, when my AirPort Extreme worked better in every way with the exception of the range.

This was all at the beginning of the pandemic (bought the mesh system a few weeks before the lockdowns), and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to return the mesh system, but Best Buy started to allow returns, and I returned it for a full refund.

I ended up splitting the bands on my AirPort Extreme, and the slowdown issues went away. The speeds were great, and I bought a second 6th gen AirPort Extreme on eBay, and wired it close to the side of the house that I parked on any it worked a lot better in every way than the super expensive mesh system.

I have since bought a different home, much bigger, and now have a total of seven 6th gen AirPort Extremes, creating a pseudo-mesh network, and it works great.

All my ATVs with tvOS, even my now super old 2015 Apple TV 4 (HD) can get over 300Mbps on the AirPort Extreme wifi.

Actually, this was one of the things I tested when comparing the expensive mesh system to the old AirPort Extreme, and two floors away, the ATV4 consistently was faster with the AirPort Extreme than the Linksys Tri-band Mesh System with one of the Linksys nodes in the same room as the ATV4.
Thanks. This validates a lot of what I'm feeling. Although my issue isn only related to the 12" Macs & at least my work computer connects correctly. I may have to explore this some more & possibly get a different router.

I'm jealous of your airport network. When my main airport went down, I tried for hours to get one of my satellites to work as the main router. It's most likely user error, but I could not get it to work & don't know enough about networking to understand what I was doing wrong. I needed to get it up & working so that I could work from home in the morning, so the eero network enabled that to happen, but I agree the airports are really great products. I wish that Apple did not discontinue them.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
FYI, Just a follow up for anyone that might search this in the future. I also tried this with my wife's laptop (MacBook Pro 13" 2020 or whatever the last year was before the M1's) and it also was in the mid 200's for download speeds.

I feel like I saw this somewhere on Eero's site, but I could be imaging it, that the Eero's learn your network & optimize for it over time. Today (over a week after setting ups the network) I am now getting the full 300+ down 10+ up on my Macs. Not sure what happened in the background, but if anyone else has similar issues. I would give the euros a little bit of time to see if they can adjust settings to optimize the network. All other devices are working great. I've also seen better performance on my watch. If I get a call, I oftentimes have my phone in the upstairs office, but if I'm in the kitchen (basically the point in the house farthest from my phone) I would always get a bad connection on the watch (I think it was trying to connect to the phone, rather than the wifi) and calls would frequently fail. I've now taken 2 calls in the kitchen. Not sure if they are connecting to the phone or the wifi, but the connection is stable now & I can actually have a conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.