Message Alerts

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by anfield11, Aug 22, 2008.

1. anfield11 macrumors regular

I'm really surprised that there isn't an audible alert to signal the arrival of a new email. I get one on my iPhone, but not my iMac or MBA. Am I missing something?

2. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

There is a setting for this, I think it is in mail preferences, not at my mac right now...

3. anfield11 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It should be there in Mac Mail.

Attached Files:

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

6. anfield11 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks, I'll try that. The one setting that I had different was the first one "Default email reader" as Entourage, as that's what I was using before. So I have switched it to Mail 3.4....fingers crossed.

7. Geoff430 macrumors newbie

Without Mail?

Hi is it possible to get an audible alert / counter in menu bar/dock without running Mail? Like the gmail email notifier but for mobileme?

Thanks,
    Geoff.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Why would you not want to run MobileMe through Mail?

9. anfield11 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I turned the settings on to the above on my MBA and my iMac and still no sound alerts for incoming mail. I do get audible alerts on the iPhone though....odd.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

No, they want to be able to receive a notification of email received without having Mail open.

They're giving an example saying that it would be similar to Gmail's notifier...only instead of working with Gmail, it would work with MobileMe. (like a Mail extension).

11. Geoff430 macrumors newbie

Exactly.

I am not a fan of the mail app, and i dont want it running constantly, so I was just wondering if a gmail notifier style app is available for mobile me?

Also- is it widely accepted that the mobileme site sucks? The email interface is terrible....

12. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

This no mail sound is well documented on apple support and MacFixIt websites. Even those with brand new Mac's... Mine has stopped working too. Looks like it is up to Apple to fix.