Message App Failure

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by zaneliu, Dec 19, 2014.

1. zaneliu macrumors 6502

zaneliu

This has been a consistent iPhone issue for me since iOS 7 on my 5. When I change locations sometimes my phone's message app just completely fails. This doesn't mean crashing but in addition, through settings ----> Messages, the iMessage button is completely unresponsive as well as FaceTime. You literally cannot toggle the button back to on. Restarting your phone and resetting Network Settings does no good.

Anyone have a fix for this because this is so annoying.

2. cynics macrumors G3

If resetting (lock + home buttons until you see apple logo) then I'd recommend a restore.

3. zaneliu thread starter macrumors 6502

zaneliu

Yeah reset hasn't worked. I keep trying. I've restored in the past too but after I back up it doesn't work still.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Have you tried resetting all settings? (I know it's a pain but it does fix weird issues).

5. zaneliu thread starter macrumors 6502

zaneliu

No. How much does that destroy everything haha?

6. cynics macrumors G3

Quite a bit.

I've restored as new a couple times and its not that bad. If you have everything syncing with iCloud (notes, contacts, calendar, reminders, etc) you'll only need to back up your photos. I lost some app data but nothing that really mattered that much.

Some exercise information in a couple 3rd party apps was the biggest thing I lost.

Later I did find out that my problem could have been fixed by other means however it saved me a ton of space on my phone.

7. zaneliu thread starter macrumors 6502

zaneliu

Yeah I'll just have to transfer a lot of my stuff over to iCloud I suppose. You didn't figure out how to fix this stupid message bug did you? Haha

8. cynics macrumors G3

Fortunately I haven't experienced it.

On my iPhone 4S I can make the message.app crash by having something running in the background and trying to take a video from the message.app. But I contribute that to iOS 8 and the weak specs of the 4S.

9. zaneliu thread starter macrumors 6502

zaneliu

I ended up just restoring and rebuilding my phone from brand new. It seems that whatever junk that came from my back up from my years with my 5 before just slowed down the phone. Now it's sending messages and connecting to LTE even faster than before.