Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymousmoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2020
Lately, I have the following popup message every morning:

iCloud for HomeKit must be enabled​

I don't use Homekit and I don't have it installed. The only app I have that looks like it has homekit functions is MiHome, and I've disabled homekit in settings.

Can someone help me figure this out please? I'm not running beta.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I’ve been getting this message since the last iPad update. i‘ve never used HomeKit nor any apps for it. There’s nothing in my HomeKit privacy settings. It’s an odd annoyance.

Reactions: Not@Apple

anonymousmoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2020
It seems fixed now. Here is what I did

• Installed homekit - signed in, out - then deleted it again
  • Enable homekit sync in icloud settings and disabled it again
  • Removed and re-installed MiHome
Not sure if any or all the above fixed it, but no more messages.
I dont think it was releated to MiHome - as thats the 1st thing I deleted and until I did the other two steps, it will still coming up with the message.

Last edited:

anonymousmoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2020
It's made a comeback. I noticed it happening just after midnight.

b2086f96c4d047c3a98970f4acb70360.jpg

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Looks like an app permission alert. This doesn't fall on Apples "best practices", at the very least you need your apps name in the alert. Matter of fact all your problems would be solved if the developer used the app name in the alert. Its also nice to have a sentence that makes sense....I guess they assume you'd figure out when they said "HomeKit" in iCloud settings they actually mean "Home"....This is from apples developer page...

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 11.46.31 AM.png

It should be noted....

"HomeKit" is a software framework used by iOS developers so their companies products work with another companies products. For example, I have an Eve motion sensor that turns on a Phillips smart light. Eve and Philips didn't need to work together to make this happen because all they had to do was incorporate HomeKit. Since its a development tool its not something you can delete from iOS.

The "Home.app" on the other hand is just an app made by Apple to setup and control HomeKit accessories. It used to be a requirement to use the Home app to setup HomeKit accessories. From there you could use other "Home" apps to control your accessories if you preferred. Access to HomeKit (or Home Data) grants an app access to users in the home, accessories, room names, etc etc.

The "Home" toggle in iCloud settings allows the use of automations or remote access. The iCloud data basically allows the Hub to act in place of your iOS device when you aren't home. If Home didn't have access to iCloud the home data would be local to your iOS device.

Anyway, from what you said I'm highly suspicious of that Mi Home app.

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
I've deleted home from my iPad and will delete it from my iPhone now too. This is really intrusive and frankly I don't want any external company to have access to the lights and/or other controls in my home.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
never used homekit too, had iit removed from my systems and now been getting frequent nag screens after login on my iOS/iPadOS devices that Homekit should be configured. Pretty annoying

• Love
Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.