Message Icon on iPhone with 3.0 is a very very poor show !!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimmyp110, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jimmyp110 Guest

Good evening to you all.

Well on the whole I'm enjoying the new update , however it has to be said Apple , what were you thinking with the new message icon/design.

For a company like Apple , to which I always expect splendor & sexiness , in my opinion the new icon looks as though it was only half finished & the designers said " oh what the hell , that'll do I'm going home "

With previous versions , there was the SMS within the white bubble , set upon the green background. Now what is there ? Nothing.

Ok so I concede that all it needed to say last time was SMS , due to the fact that all you could do was send send SMS.

Now of course , we have SMS , MMS & Voice Memo , thus the icon looking silly if it just said SMS.

That said , with the current icon being just a clear white bubble upon the green background , to me it just looks very amateurish & only half finished.

Ok so it says " Messages " below , however if that's all Apple wants to say , then why just have this empty white space.

Very soon to talk updates , however Apple really need to sort this when the next patch comes along.

Surely there must be something that could fill this silly expanse of white.

Anyone agree , or have I just got too much time on my hands.

Regards James

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I agree, definitely too much time on your hands.

3. S14-Racer macrumors newbie

It matches the theme of the bubbles found on the text message screen... I find no fault in that.

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

lol complaining about an icon design, I agree you have waaay to much time on your hands

5. .michael macrumors regular

haha, i actually liked it. it has a similar shape to the ichat icon.
    :)

6. jimmyp110 thread starter Guest

My goodness , you're all far to welcoming on this forum , not to mention obviously easily pleased.

Was only my opinion guys.

For all of the above - I wonder why Apple felt the need to have SMS written on the old icon , if it was just as easy to have a White bubble.

It's all to do with presentation & design , & this is not on a par with all things Apple.

I wonder if your opinion would be slightly different if this icon design was something from a third party application via the App store. How many times do you read a review of an app that says along the lines of great app , shame about the icon. Eventually it gets changed a few updates later.

Just a thought.

Regards James

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Honestly, not very often. If the app is good enough, it doesn't need a beautifully designed icon. What's wrong with the new messages icon anyway? What would YOU put inside the bubble? You don't seem to have any suggestions. Now that messages encompasses MMS, SMS, contact-sending, etc., the blank bubble is appropriate. And the only reason why you're getting **** from other people is because this is quite an unnecessary thread topic.

8. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

Just jailbreak your phone and change the icon yourself.

9. JohnFa macrumors regular

Geez, people can always find the smallest things to bitch about. Why on earth post this on a forum? Why do you want other people to know that you whine about small stuff that doesn't matter? Jailbreak the phone and make your own damn icon if it's that important.

10. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

11. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I noticed that and agree. It doesn't bother me too much but I think it should say something in it.

12. jimmyp110 thread starter Guest

Well I'm sorry guys , but if this is the animosity & seriousness that's dished out on this forum , then I'm afraid it's not for me.

I was making an observation based on my opinion. Nothing more , nothing less. I thought a forum was for sharing opinions , however it appears that unless it's something that the majority agree with , then there appears to be ridicule & abuse.

I don't want people to agree with what I think or say, however if this is the tone & attitude of the forum then it's not one for me.

To keep the regulars happy , I ask Mods to close the thread please.

Regards James

13. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

yeah alot of people are D i c k s .. just dont pay attention to them... i am serious about the jailbreak though.. when its out jailbreak it and download an iphone NORMAL theme

14. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

Is this what you want?
    (I like the blank bubble though, it's very classy!)
    [​IMG]

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, you can't stop there! After all, phone, mail, and the iPod all suffer from the same problem!

I think he's thinking about something like this:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Personally, I think they match perfectly now:

[​IMG]

But that's just my opinion.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Is the word "iPoding" trademarked yet? Does Apple own it?

'Cause I claim it if not. I like that one.

17. jimmyp110 thread starter Guest

Thank you to the above 2 posters who took the time to answer in a civil way , & not speak to me like a piece of crap.

That last pic is exactly what I mean.

I'm pleased I saw it before I diactivate my account.

Regards James

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just stop caring what other people say.

I made an image almost EXACTLY like that 3 or 4 months for another poster and he got mad at me because he thought I was mocking him.

And? I didn't care that he got mad. So here I am, trying almost the same exact joke again. And guess what? You got that it was light-hearted and a sort-of joke (iPoding?), but you didn't seem to think I was making fun of you. I was just making it funny in general.

My point is, if that last dude getting mad at me bothered me, I never would have tried that again today.

So ignore the people that bother you and focus on the half of the posts that actually talked to you. It's pretty easy once you get used to it.

19. sananda macrumors 68020

Yes, I thought it looked much better before when it said SMS.

As for all the rather rude posters, what is wrong with discussing the aesthetics of icons and the home page? This is, after all, Apple where these things matter.

20. orange42 macrumors 6502a

21. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Because it's not strictly SMS anymore - it does MMS too?

Oh, snap.

22. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

hilarious!

I kinda like the plain chat bubble. But maybe it should say "Hi." or something on it? I don't like the idea of MSG being the shortened version of messages. SMS was an actual acronym.